Author Topic: Fishmas!!  (Read 4992 times)

theberer

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Fishmas!!
« on: April 04, 2015, 09:51:59 PM »
Hi All,

Long time lurker; Looking for some opening day info.

Usually we camp at either Crowley or any open campground in Rock creek canyon for opening weekend.

We are looking to change things up this year and fish Virginia Lakes for the opener, we have never gone that far north for the opener so I had a couple questions I was hoping you could help out with!

Is Virginia lake frozen this time of year? Is the fishing any good during opening weekend? (We usually fish this lake late July with great results)

Camping? Is there anywhere during opening weekend to tent camp (Friday,Saturday, Sunday) near Virginia lakes?

Thanks for any info you have, much appreciated.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Fishmas!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
welcome, welcome!

i have no answers to your questions...   so no help there.   but virgina lakes is high altitude,, so i would think opening would depend on the conditions...  doing some goggling, looks like they aim for a memorial day opening.. but given this year pretty much lacks snow, perhaps they would open earlier? 

perhaps a phone call to the resort would shed some good light on what is going on..

turnbull lake campground is right there near virginia lakes

i am hoping that some of the fisher folk of this board will cough up any secret info they may have:)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:40:43 AM by Little Hardrock »
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 09:05:54 PM »
Welcome and ditto to the points made by LHR.

In the past when Rock Creek Lake has been thawed or at least had significant open water, the Virginia Lakes group have had no open water.

Although the elevation between the two areas may be similar, Virginia Lakes seem to have less open and/or Southern exposure in comparison.

Here is the link to VLR which is extremely informative for the area and lists the contact info and helpful links to other sites.

http://www.virginialakesresort.com/index.htm

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTJw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAzHJMsQ!!/?ss=110417&ttype=recarea&recid=65210&actid=29&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=110130000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&cid=FSE_003705&pname=Humboldt-Toiyabe+National+Forest+Headquarters+-+Trumbull+Lake+Campground

It is a beautiful area, and also offers some permit-required dispersed camping along the creek on the road from Conway Summit to the VLR.  It is also likely that Trumbull Lake CG will not be open prior to Memorial Day weekend based on several factors other than dismal snowpack.

Depending on where you are driving from, some of the Rock Creek or Bishop Creek Canyons' Campgrounds might offer more options, better opening day fish planting/stocking and definitely several nearby options if one spot is not producing for you.  All at least 90 minutes further south than VLR.  If you are coming from So CA, that can make a big difference both directions depending on your schedule and timing.....

Not at all trying to discourage you, simply trying to paint a picture for you based on the info requested and provided.  Any way you look at it, you will be in the Eastern Sierra on Opening Day 2015 which is better than many of us will be in a position to accomplish!   :camping:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 06:58:12 AM »
On a normal year, you could only expect to ice fish at Virginia Lakes during the fishing opener.  But last few years have been anything but normal.  Right now due to lack of snow the road has been open year round to Rand Rd.  The County is planning to plow any remaining snow beyond that and at Big Virginia parking lot before the opener.

Itís a hard say this early if Virginia Lakes will have any open water showing for fishing.  Really depends on the weather.  If you use last year as your gauge, both Little Virginia and Trumbull cleared up enough to fish part of the lakes during the opener.  Big Virginia still had 3 foot of rotten snow and was unfishable.  But quite a few lunkers were caught last year during the opener.  If there is any open water to fish, fishing should be great.  My advice would be to wait about a week before the opener and see what the locals are saying and what the weather looks like.

As for campgrounds near Virginia lakes, they are limited.  My favorite is nearby Lundy Canyon Campground.  Have restrooms, picnic benches, fire-rings, and bear boxes.  When I stayed there last year they cut-off the water supply due to the drought, so plan on bringing your own portable water.  Lundy Lake is already ice free but level will be low but still another option for fishing.  Mono County Department of Public Works runs Lundy Canyon Campground.  Another nice option is Lower Virginia Creek Primitive Campground as PAC mentioned.  Have toilets, fire rings in a Jeffrey Pine Forest, and next to the creek.  No water again but could filter water from the creek.  Call to make sure itís open as openings dates are flexible.  Itís in the Humboldt-Toiyabe NF.  Another choice is to camp at the many dispersed campgrounds in the Owens Valley.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 11:28:33 AM »
I saw a Facebook link this morning saying that little Virginia Lake has a lot of open water already and may be clear for the opener this year.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 10:02:02 AM »
Well alright ! :clap: :chestbump: :chestbump: :chestbump:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 11:40:49 AM »
Wonder if the latest storm that came through will affect the fish opener for Virginia Lakes.  Mammoth Lakes got 18" at the Main Lodge and 24Ē on top of the mountain.  Turned out to be a nice spring storm! :shoveling:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 11:49:03 AM »
Lets all meet up!!! C'mon!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:     :pie: :pie: :pie: :pie: :pie:    :cold: :cold: :cold: :cold: :cold:    :campfire: :campfire: :campfire:  :camping: :camping:  :tent: :tent: :tent:  :campfire2: :campfire2: :campfire2: :campfire2:  :fishing3: :fishing3: :fishing3: :fishing3: :fishing3:
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 12:03:47 PM »
where and when?
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 11:44:18 AM »
Opening weekend!! Wherever and whenever!! I'll be there Friday-Monday!

:pie:
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!