Author Topic: Baker and Green Lakes JM22 Trail to Bishop Creek Canyon  (Read 3678 times)

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
  • California Native and Sierra lover for 60 years
    • View Profile
Baker and Green Lakes JM22 Trail to Bishop Creek Canyon
« on: April 10, 2015, 08:08:22 AM »
Can anyone give me information on this trail?  Condition, weather, fishing, general use and mileage from North Fork of Big Pine Creek to Bishop Creek Canyon.  Would like to try this if it is a reasonable pursuit.

smitty

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Parchers Resort
Re: Baker and Green Lakes JM22 Trail to Bishop Creek Canyon
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 09:00:28 PM »
Green Lake has tremendous fishing for very healthy sized Rainbows. It's about 3.5 miles and 1600 or so vertical from Parchers Resort where I live. From there you have a pretty darn steep climb up to the saddle above the Baker Creek drainage. Below there is some good fishing in Baker for smaller model Brookies and a few Goldens left in Hidden, which is sadly getting pretty close to drying up. The trail eventually meets a pretty cool campground that is popular with the 4WD. Beyond that I can't help you much.

Sierrally,
Smitty

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Baker and Green Lakes JM22 Trail to Bishop Creek Canyon
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 06:51:46 AM »
Never took this route but have visited all the lakes on this trail.  The Baker Creek trail is seldom used, for the creek and lakes can be reached by a jeep road from Bishop through Coyote Flat.  And Green Creek Basin I think is best reached either from South lake Trailhead (pipeline route) or from Parchers Resort.  The fishing is as Smitty says.  Just off the trail is Thunder & Lightening Lake for some good Brookie fishing if time permits.

Does not mean this is a poor choice for a short backpacking trip.  Looking at my topo map I see you do have to climb some major elevation gain in the first 3-4 miles if you take off from Big Pine, but it levels off for a while then down-hill for the last 4 miles.

Where the Baker Creek Trail forks off from the NF Big Pine Trail
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."