Author Topic: info on openings...  (Read 7233 times)

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
info on openings...
« on: April 13, 2015, 08:50:06 AM »
FYI for the area

Mono County Sheriff's Office

Devils Postpile Road Openings

Happy Sunday everyone! Please see the below information from the U.S. Forest Service - Inyo National Forest regarding the early opening of the road to Devils Postpile. Thank you! Hope you're having a great weekend! - Jennifer M. Hansen, Public Information Officer

Inyo National Forest planning for early road, campground openings

The Inyo National Forest is planning to open recreation facilities on the Mammoth and Mono Lake Ranger Districts early this year based upon warm, dry conditions throughout the winter months.

The forest is coordinating with the Town of Mammoth Lakes, National Park Service, Eastern Sierra Transit Authority, Cal Trans, Mammoth Mountain Ski Area, Inyo Recreation, and other valued partners to open roads, campgrounds, recreation facilities, and services in the Mammoth Lakes Basin and Reds Meadow Valley for the upcoming fishing season and Memorial Day holiday.

For Fishing Opener – Most lakes below 9000 feet are currently free of ice. Weather dependent, roads in the Mammoth Lakes Basin will be open prior to the 2015 Fishing Opener, with a tentative opening date of Saturday, April 18th. Convict Lake, Sherwin Creek, Mammoth RV Park, Oh Ridge, June Lake, Gull Lake, Silver Lake, Big Springs, and Lower Lee Vining campgrounds will be open by April 24th.

Restrooms in the Mammoth Lakes Basin on water systems are not designed to function during winter conditions, including night-time freezing cycles. The Town of Mammoth Lakes is working with the Forest Service to provide temporary restroom facilities and trash service until normal summer services are established.

For Memorial Day – The road into the Reds Meadow Valley will open prior to Memorial Day, with a targeted opening date of Saturday, May 16th. The Eastern Sierra Transit Authority will operate the mandatory Reds Meadow Shuttle bus system Saturday, Sunday, and Monday of Memorial Day weekend. Normal operations will begin Saturday, June 13th and continue through Labor Day. Twin Lakes and New Shady Campgrounds are scheduled to open on May 8th. Lake Mary, Reds Meadow, High Sierra Camp, Glass Creek, Deadman, Hartley, Aspen, Big Bend, Junction, Tioga, and Ellery campgrounds should be open by May 22nd.

All other national forest campgrounds will open by June 13th and Devil’s Postpile Campground (NPS) will open in mid-June.

All established opening dates are subject to change pending weather conditions
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 06:18:13 AM by Little Hardrock »
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: info on mono county openings...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 01:08:53 PM »
Sonora Pass, Hwy 108, will tentatively be opening this Friday, April 17, 2015 at noon! (Pending weather conditions)

The lower section of Tioga Pass, Hwy 120 west, will be opening from Lee Vining to the park entrance tomorrow April 15, 2015 by 5pm. Tioga Pass will remain closed from the park entrance into Yosemite National Park until further notice, however plowing and debris cleanup is scheduled to start tomorrow morning!

Weather conditions can change rapidly in the Eastern Sierra. Always check road conditions before leaving for your trip on the Caltrans website here: http://bit.ly/1A0oSeN or by calling 1-800-427-7623.

Obi96

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 05:24:33 PM »
Wow that's early. Happy that things are opening soon, not happy for the reason behind it.

Mimi McKell

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 08:35:17 PM »
What's the word on opening dates for Iris, Big Meadows, East Fork? Earlier than usual?

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: info on openings...
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 05:48:48 AM »
this was posted on facebook ....

Canyon Report.. Start packing your gear everyone, we will be open in French Camp, Mc Gee Creek and Tuff Campground this coming Thursday the 23rd. The weather is spring in full swing, 70's in the days and cool nights, perfect camping weather! looking forward to seeing you all again soon to kick off the 2015 season. Drive safe & we'll see you all around camp

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 08:30:56 AM »
 We are headed up May 14th - 17th and staying in French camp #38. I am feeling extremely blessed that I am able to make this trip with my wife. Last year we were scheduled there for a week and a half and two days before we were ready to leave her left lung collapsed. She was diagnosed as septic and the doctors filled me with the bad news she may not make it. Our first trip back since and I am sure each moment there will entail new meaning for each of us; seeing everything through new eyes. She can't hike anymore (at least for now) due to lung capacity but glad she is still around to go. Cherish those moments with loved ones, you never know what's around the corner.
"Don't get no better than this!"

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 12:27:39 PM »
That’s great fshrsmn!  What a trooper your wife must be!  Make some great new memories with your wife!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 12:34:46 PM »
fshrsmn, I am really happy for you both.  The sight, sound and scent of the Sierras will bring you much happiness.

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 02:27:49 PM »
  Thanks wshawkins and vhbcinc. We plan on reliving old camping memories (29 years worth at RCL) and making new ones. Thank God that we have that chance....together.   
"Don't get no better than this!"

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 07:36:57 AM »
oh my goodness fshrsmn!!!     so happy to hear you have a good outcome!   may you roast the best marshmallows of your life over the campfire this summer!!!

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: info openings...
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 06:17:56 AM »
more dates from inyo county... rock creek campgrounds is in this list!

The Inyo National Forest is planning to open recreation facilities on the White Mountain and Mt. Whitney Ranger Districts in the upcoming weeks.

On the White Mountain District, Grandview Campground in the White Mountains is currently open; this is a dry campground with no water. The Schulman Grove Visitor Center is scheduled to open on April 24th and will be open four days a week, Friday – Monday. The summer schedule, open seven days a week, is expected to start in mid-May.

In the Big Pine drainage, Sage Flat, Upper Sage Flat, and Big Pine campgrounds are scheduled to open by April 22nd.

In Bishop Creek, the Bitterbrush Campground is open and the Bishop Park, Forks, Intake 2, Big Trees, and Four Jeffrey campgrounds are scheduled to open by April 22nd. The Sabrina, Table Mountain, Mountain Glenn, Willow, and North Lake campgrounds are scheduled to open at a later date, dependent on weather.

Along Rock Creek, the Holiday Campground (a winter service campground) is open, but will close on April 23rd when French Camp and Tuff campgrounds open. Iris and Big Meadow Campgrounds are projected to open on May 8th, East Fork is projected to open on May 15th, and Upper and Lower Pine Grove and Rock Creek Lake campgrounds are projected to open on May 22nd. Please be aware that there is road construction going on the Rock Creek Road; expect 30 minute delays and limited parking. The McGee Campground will be open by April 23rd.

On the Mt. Whitney District, Upper and Lower Grays Meadow and Lone Pine campgrounds are currently open. Whitney Portal Campground is working to open April 18th, but will definitely be open by April 23rd. Onion Valley Campground will open by April 23rd as well. The Horseshoe Meadow Road and the Horseshoe Meadow campgrounds will open on April 24th. Please note that fishing will not be open in Cottonwood Creek until July 1st.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 08:36:41 AM »

Heuschele

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 04:11:15 AM »
Anyone know the condition of road to Laurel lakes.  I realize May use would be very unusual but things have been very unusual.  I was thinking of using the trailhead there memorial weekend if road is usable by quads, motorcycles, etc.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 11:02:01 AM »
and east fork is open...

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 01:18:04 PM »
Heuschele I've driven that road in perfect conditions and I don't think I would want to drive it with any snow/moisture on that trail. I would bet its possible right now but I'm sure you'll be covered in mud by the end of it. Sure is beautiful back there though. I'm sure the lake is amazing right now with snow down to the banks. One of my favorite canyons.
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!