Author Topic: Rock Creek Road  (Read 3330 times)

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Rock Creek Road
« on: April 15, 2015, 02:47:50 PM »
I drove up the hill today, thought I'd let people know what's happening, at least for right now.
The constuction crew has the first bridge above French Camp all torn up, one lane only...there was no traffic on the road, and I had to wait 15 minutes...be prepared. A couple more slow downs for survey crews (7 guys standing around a transit...efficient)."No Parking" signs all along the road until you get to East Fork, they have dates of "05/04 to 06/19"...be prepared.
Above East Fork there are no problems. Drove all the way to Mosquito Flats,  This is by far the earliest I've been able to drive there in the thirty years I've lived here. The creek at MF is real scary. looks like November flows instead of April. Rock Creek Lake is totally free of ice, no snow either....sorry ice fishers...
Camp hosts are in Tuff, looked like they were pulling into French too. As far as the opening dates for the rest of the campgrounds, your guess is as good as mine...in my experience, that's usually up to the hosts.
This season should be real interesting, in many ways.

Travelling Cirques

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Creek Road
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 03:29:12 PM »
I have a permit reserved for May 6. We are planning on camping somewhere around Long Lake or maybe Big Fish. I was hoping there would still be SOME snow but didn't want to snow camp...sounds like too MUCH snow will not be an issue. I've been hiking and fishing this canyon since '85 and I too have never seen the road to MF open so early. In fact I don't remember being able to get far up the trail before June most years. I'm looking forward to seeing all of your opening weekend pics from LLV so I have an idea of what to expect. Either way I'll be in hog heaven....

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 03:40:27 PM »
I will be in French Camp Next Wednesday. have to keep my tradition of always being the first one... I can't help but feel this is not going to be a season to brag about...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 08:04:36 AM »
From Rock Creek Lakes Resort Facebook, Mosquito Flats on April 13, 2015

Spring 2012
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Michelle K

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 08:49:03 PM »
Beautiful photo from several days ago, but how sad with so little snow.

Travelling Cirques

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 08:14:32 AM »
Wow that is pretty low. Good news is that the streams will run high again. The lakes will fill up. Water will again be abundant in the Sierra. Just not this year.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 12:26:34 PM »
Thanks for the update, Retired is going to beat us up there but we will be up too for the Season Opener and to start our annual clean up.  Hope for some rain this year...
The creek is waiting...