Author Topic: Small Fire in Tuff Campground Sunday  (Read 7340 times)

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
Small Fire in Tuff Campground Sunday
« on: April 27, 2015, 07:47:54 PM »
So on Sunday after not catching much at the Owens, besides running into Retired96, my family left the Owens and ventured down to Tuff Campground...where we struck out again. My family was in the day use lot when my Dad noticed a fire coming from the campground.  The flames were at least 6 feet tall...which is not a good sign.  I went up to the road to see if someone was just having a crazy fire and saw no one around and realized a fire had broken out in one of the first campsites that was vacant. My Mom went to go find the host and I located someone's gallon of water in a camp spot and began to fight the fire. Luckily the water faucet was nearby so I was able to get enough water on the fire to contain it.  The fire had quickly spread to three large sage plants that were near a fire pit that was a blaze and not attended as the campers had just checked out and drove away.  Some guys finally stopped and brought over some dish pans and that was a huge help...thanks guys!  The host had called out the forces and by the time the fire trucks had arrived we had contained the fire. So to the campers that left the fire going, you will be getting a call from the Forest Service Fire Investigator, and a heafty fine.  To others, like Smokey says, only you can prevent Forest Fires.  This woud of been catastophic as absolutely no one was around and if we had not been at the right place at the right time, this could of been much worse.  I have rocks melted into my favorite pair of shoes, burnt a hole in my jeans and caught NO fish...but fought a Forest Fire and won so guess that counts for something. Please don't leave fires unattended!
The creek is waiting...

vhbcinc

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: Small Fire in Tuff Campground Sunday
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 08:04:49 PM »
You saved more than you may realize.  We cannot thank you enough for putting out the fire.  Imagine the damage that would have resulted and all of the memories from past visitors that would have been ruined if you were not there.

I hope that the idiot culprits get fined.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 08:23:57 PM »
Very fortunate that you were able to get it out. I hope that they get a ticket too.

Michelle K

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 08:57:58 PM »
Thank God you were there, otherwise ?

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 09:31:23 PM »
Who knows where everything could have gone, but thanks for what you did. Its small acts like this that prevent bad things from escalating. Good job Girl   :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 10:10:56 PM »
Yeah, even if there is no fire but just coals left, you canít just leave it.  All it takes is a little wind and we have a major problem.  Always add plenty of water to douse the embers before you leave or turn in for the night.  Many thanks to you that you took action from keeping this fire from spreading any more than it did.   :clap: :clap: :clap:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 06:08:33 AM »
oh my goodness!!!!     so glad you and your family were all there!  that could have become so bad so quickly!

and while you may not have caught any fish.... you definitely caught the most excitement of opener!

shesh.. unbelievable....  makes me think about all of the bush that is close to fire rings through out the canyon...   hopefully the hosts will hear about this and do some pruning!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 06:51:02 AM »
BRAVO RCG  :clap: :clap: :clap:  It amazes me how Careless some people are .
The Creek is Waiting...

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 06:54:38 AM »
With the strong winds that were blowing on Sunday, only a fool would build a fire...

Todd Johnson

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
  • The Creek is Waiting
    • View Profile
    • TRJ-Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 08:33:56 AM »
Thank you so much for putting out the fire.  Luckily you were able to get to it before it got out of control.... Thanks again for saving the camp grounds.  I think those people need to be put on a brush crew to fight a fire the next time for a punishment......  Maybe they'll think again the next time leaving a camp fire unattended....
"The Creek is Waiting" - Hardrock - May he forever live on this board.

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 10:16:57 AM »
I agree Retired, the winds on Sunday were pretty brutal up where I was staying as well.

:clap: :clap: :clap: on stopping the fire!!

Drown it .... Stir it.... FEEL it.. haha come on people its NOT THAT HARD!!

on a side note... WHAT AN EPIC OPENER, Out of the 3 of us that went we only caught 1 of the 1/4 pounders that have been talked about SOOOOO MUCH. The rest were pushing 2 lbs!! All from RCL!! So much snow and so many fish!! I wish I could rewind and do it all over again!!
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 09:14:28 AM »
Nice save, RnCG!! Thanks!

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 05:15:19 AM »
Great job and how fortuitous to be there just then.  Idiot campers with no respect and plenty of ignorance.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 09:40:08 AM »
Great Job! Another example of the morons loose in the woods. MJ and I found a roaring camp fire on a hillside above Green Lake with no one around. It probably took 1/2 hour plus with rocks, dirt and ziplock bags full of water from the creek to get it out. and it was very windy. Unbelievable!
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock