Author Topic: 2015 opener report  (Read 3563 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
2015 opener report
« on: April 28, 2015, 07:32:42 AM »
Left last Tuesday morning,, no traffic at all on 395, arrive at French Camp and its closed, water hadn't been tested yet and Host won't let me in so its 65.00 dollar motel in Bishop. Fished the Lower Owens for a few hours and catch 2 stockers..
Wednesday in French Camp at 0730, set up camp, collect pine cones....Creek was stocked with at least 200 plus fish all in the 1 to 1 1/2 pound range with a few 2 pounds plus...was really surprised at the number and size that were stocked..  Fished the Upper Owens with barbless lures for about 2 hours and caught nothing.. River was running high and dirty as DWP raised the flow rate 2 weeks ago.  Rain started about 1800 and had a light rain for about 4 hours.

Fished the Lower Owens in Bishop on Thursday for about 6 hours and got skunked,,, never had one bite. I fished 6 different areas. water was also dirty in color..

Friday, weather was cool and spent the day shooting and not liking the weather forcast for Saturday which called for cold, snow and wind...

Opening day, 0600 snow is starting to fall in campground, creek where they stock it is packed and fishermen are pulling out fish every 5 seconds.. Its like shooting ducks in a pond. Guys are catching their limits in less than 10 minutes....By 0700 snow is coming down hard and sticking to the ground...It snows for about 4 hours and the campground had about 3 inches of snow. I go to the Upper Owens about 1230, its about 35 degrees and windy...Fish for about 3 1/2 hours and was able to catch 2 cutthroats one 17 inches, the other 19 inches, both weighed about 2 /12 to 3 pounds.. Never had a single bite other than the two I caught. Very few people on the river and I talked to 6 fishermen and only one had caught a fish, no one was even getting a bite.. Went back and fished Rock Creek at the bottom of the campground and caught 3, each about 1 1/2 pound stockers released all of them..

Sunday I fished the Upper Owens from 0830 until 1500 and never had one stinking bite no matter what I used. I only saw one person catch a fish on a worm..Every person I talked to said the same thing....Never had one single bite.  Fishing was horrible on the river for opening weekend. 

The weather for the 6 days was not the best, but the little rain and snow was much needed. Crowds were very light, many vacant sites in French Camp. Spoke to 2 guys that were upset as the weather on Crowley was too windy to take their small boats out on.

I personally liked the cooler weather and enjoyed the short snowfall on Saturday but the fishing was terrible...I still predict that the fishing is going to be poor for this season...

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 opener report
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 10:22:55 AM »
Retired thank you for your report! Thats a bummer your site wasnt ready for you guys!

Ours on the other had was ready and waiting and it couldnt have been a better weekend. We caught so many fish that it was almost comical compared to openers in the past.

I was really surprised at the size of the fishing we were catching. We were all prepared for little guys after everything we had read prior to the opener. It was a happy surprise that they were all much bigger than that! Ate a bunch took a few home with us. The snow was awesome, keeps the crowds down! Started snowing in camp around 2am friday night/saturday morning, and didnt stop until around 230pm saturday. There was at least 10" of snow on ground. We fished Mcgee from the pack station down to camp and did REALLY well. Water levels were low, but about average for this time of year in my opinion. It did however make for good pools with some good fish in them! Ended up fishing the lower canyon down to the road as well. Tons of natural rainbows and Browns to be had.

All in all a great opener, It was very difficult to go to work this morning!!
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 01:39:12 PM »
Where were you camped at?   I saw clear blue skies all over the valley by 1300 hrs and almost all the snow had melted in the foothills. Where did you fish at...

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 08:44:02 AM »
camped at site 24 in Mcgee. ( I know how much you love Mcgee, But the more Mcgee haters the better in my opinion!!! bring it on!) Fished the pack station down to camp fishmas morning. Didnt stop snowing back there until 230ish, and was mostly gone in a few hours. I stay away from the valley. The fishing there is usually terrible always, Unless lower mcgee is open then im down there ALL day long. Fished the monument down last years opener and was pretty disapointed, the owens is just not what i remember from being a kid fishing it with my Pops.

Fished RCL all day Sunday and the fishing was hot, all close to 2lbs Golden lures were the ticket. Im not sure if it snowed there saturday night or not ( im pretty sure it did), because there was fresh powder everywhere and we were the first set of tire tracks to the boat dock and the rocks and trees were covered, didnt melt away till after noon.

I thought the fishing was superb, and besides my first opener, this was my favorite it felt like a true adventure with a pretty empty camp, lots of snow and wind, and tons of fish and laughter! Wish we could have met up there retired!
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 08:19:15 PM »
Big fish, Little fish, No fish, Lots a fish
anyone of those scenarios is better than reading about fishing.
Hope to get up there soon myself, thanks both of you for the reports.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !