Author Topic: Trip report Friday May 1 – Tuesday May 5  (Read 6469 times)

david_lhc

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Trip report Friday May 1 – Tuesday May 5
« on: May 06, 2015, 09:23:58 AM »
Finally got out of Riverside at Friday 6 pm with my Brother his wife and boy in my 5th wheel. Took a little time getting up the hill but finally got on 395 and speeds were good and traffic was not too bad. Got into Silver Lake campground about 12:30 am. Crisp and cool with lots of stars. Saturday Woke up had morning breakfast with biscuits and gravy at Silver lake resort and a little morning fish at Silver Lake. Lake Level was high but no fish that morning. Josh did get 1 High Sierra Lobster.

Headed over to Lower Virginia for a late morning early afternoon fish. Lake level was same as the last few years, I would say high/normal. Lots of people and lots of fish. Hitting green power bait. Was able to release about a dozen. Nothing to brag about so no fish picks. Back to camp Silver Lake for a nap and evening fish and the Silver Lake gave up no fish again. Wind was up poles were low. Dogs over the fire for dinner.

Sunday decided to try Grant lake in the morning and the Lake is way way low and after 2 spots got 1 nice little rainbow.

Had breakfast and headed up to Rock Creek Lake. Could see all the work they were doing on the road but none was happening while I was on it. Got to Brown’s beach (boat launch area) and set up. Some people were fishing but not a lot. Lake is lower than October last year. Fishing was slow but I was able to get about 8 and release 4. Weather came up and we had some snow flurries. One thing that was strange is the Power Plant Creek was dry, no water out of it at all. I have never seen that creek by the docks not running. Not sure what it means. The next creek down with the walking bridge was running like normal. Open faced Turkey at Toms Place for dinner.

Monday woke up early and hit the back side of Crawley. Got the sun coming up and some really nice fish. Not a lot but very good Quality. Also broke off 2 times middle of my 2 lb leader. I up graded to 3lb after that. A Toyota Tundra rolled up on us and a guy gets out that looks normal. No writing on the truck and no uniform. The guy lifts up his shirt to show a badge and says “Fish and Game”. Backside of Crawley Monday late morning a week after opener. Can’t be 7 people total back there fishing and he is undercover. He was very nice and respectful as were we back to him. We all checked out fine but I though wow I bet there is a better place to be checking.

Back to camp for lunch and then back to Crawley for afternoon fish and again very nice fish. Hit Mammoth and Roberto’s for dinner. Ice Cold Beer and fajita.

Tuesday morning hit up Silver Lake one more time and again nothing. My brother did farm 2 so I blame him for not getting any. So for this trip Silver Lake 1 – Brown Family 0, but there is a lot of season left yet. Packed up and headed home. As always a great trip up in the Sierra’s.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Trip report Friday May 1 – Tuesday May 5
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 11:52:04 AM »
Sounds like a great trip.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 12:11:53 PM »
love this report...   looks like lots of ground covered,,,  too much fun!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 01:39:12 PM »
That fish your nephew is holding is a beautiful Cutthroat!! WOW
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 01:41:05 PM »
How long would you say that Cutthroat is?
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 05:48:18 AM »
Great TR, Dave.  Thanks for the pics and including the family and those fantastic fish out of Crowley.  Geez, score one at Crowley for the Browns!  Silver can always be a skunk trip if the wind's blowing, but that last shot of it you put in for us is a mirror marvel.  Wow!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 04:49:44 PM »
Any trip to the Sierras is a good trip, catching fish is just icing on the cake! Glad to see another fellow Riversider had a good trip while I was working!  :clap:

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 08:49:22 AM »
Awesome report!  Looks like you covered a lot of ground. Very nice pics, and some nice fish for sure.
Looks likes there`s more than a couple of fellow Riversiders on the board.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 04:12:19 PM »
Great Family trip!  Nice quality fishing too (Except for Silver lake, not sure what happened there). ;D
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Todd Johnson

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
  • The Creek is Waiting
    • View Profile
    • TRJ-Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 02:23:38 PM »
nice report... Thanks for sharing
"The Creek is Waiting" - Hardrock - May he forever live on this board.

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 02:38:58 PM »
great pictures and report  :clap: