Author Topic: Heading Back to 20 Lakes Basin!  (Read 2656 times)

gtom61

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Heading Back to 20 Lakes Basin!
« on: May 13, 2015, 02:42:27 PM »
Hi all...

After my great time last year, told you I'd be back.  So I'm back and looking at two trips to 20 Lakes this year.  First one will be 7/20 thru 7/22.  We'll have a couple of young kids with us so we are thinking about using the campground that's there and just hike in daily to fish.  Then back up again probably the last weekend in August to backpack in again for a few days.  Since it looks like you can't make reservations for the campground, is there a way to make sure i get a camp site and not leave it to chance?  other suggestions? And any idea when Saddlebag Resort is going to reopen?  Appreciate all the help!

Gerry

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Heading Back to 20 Lakes Basin!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 04:22:54 PM »
Being that your trip falls on a Monday, I'd say that you'll have a good chance at finding a spot at the Saddle Bag Lake campground. Check out Sawmill walk in campground, if you can get a spot it's a cool campground. Other campgrounds near by are Ellery Lake, in the meadow at the Saddle Bag Lake turn off, (I can't remember the name) and Tioga Lake has a few. I would not be shocked if the Saddle Bag resort opens by Memorial Day. I think one year they opened around the 4th of July back when it used to snow.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 04:43:55 PM »
Junction Campground is the name Sierraslam.  I always come up on a Sunday as it empty’s out as folks leave for home.  Monday should be no problem either.  Saddlebag Lake opened last year on about June 8th.  Would have opened earlier but the lake was still frozen.  This year should see about the same time frame I'm thinking.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 08:49:30 PM »
2015 saddle Bag Resort opener 6-20-15! just checked the saddle bag web site.

gtom61

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 12:19:10 PM »
thanks for the info. wshawkins, as time draws closer i'll confirm and hopefully you can put me onto those larger trout you mentioned last year! :)

Gerry