Author Topic: May 12 to May 16 Trip  (Read 4613 times)

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
May 12 to May 16 Trip
« on: May 19, 2015, 03:02:23 PM »
Drove up to Bridgeport last Tuesday for a 3 day fishing trip in uncertain weather. Actually lucked out, stayed fairly dry. Wednesday we went to Roosevelt Lake for those early season Cutts. Lots of fish 14' to 18" on wet flies. The larger fish were beautiful red but no one got any decent pics. MJ got one shot of a smaller one shown later.

West Walker looking upstream and then downstream

Roosevelt Lake

Thursday headed up to the lake noted for the real big Cutts. Had some snow flurries but not too bad. The lake was really low. There were 3 float tubes and 3 of us on shore and no one had a strike in the first two hours. All using various flies. MJ was in waders and said there were huge brooks and Cutts swimming around him with no interest in anything he tossed at them. I was getting ready to leave and put a red mini jig on my bubble rig and thought  I had a hit on about the 4th cast. No more action but as I left I gave MJ a jig to tie on his fly rod. About 5 minutes later I heard a shout and he got this monster on the jig. That was it and then it started to snow pretty hard.

Drove down to Mammoth that afternoon in snow showers. CHP was turning the Chains Required sign on Conway Summit as we went by. Friday we went up the Duck Pass trail as far as Skelton Lake. Snow on the trail was untracked and was about 6" deep in most areas. It was a lot of work getting to Skelton. All very small brooks on very small flies.

Former Exec. Director of San Diego Holiday Bowl working on an impossible fly/bubble tangle!

MJ bird shots at Skelton

On down to Lone Pine Friday night. A good steak at Season's and home Saturday.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: May 12 to May 16 Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 03:32:15 PM »
Looks like a great trip! Thanks for the report and pictures! Those bird pictures are sweet!

So is that Cutt!

Which Roosevelt lake was that at? I searched and it looks like theres one in Mono county and Tuolumne county?

:clap:
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 03:47:08 PM »
Nice trip BJ!! For some reason it doesn't even look that cold in your pictures. That one pic with the smaller cut and your wet gloves did make my fingers hurt just a little tho.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 03:59:55 PM »
What a great trip!  Been fishing the same lakes you visited the last 4-5 years and 14-18 is been my average at Roosevelt Lake too.  MJs large Cutt is something, all I ever catch in that lake is the football Brookies.  Not complaining!

Nice hike up Duck Pass. 

MJs bird shots are just fantastic!   :clap: :clap: :clap:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:46:40 PM by wshawkins »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:07:49 AM »
Mcgee Dude: It's the Roosevelt  Lake above Leavitt Meadows on the Sonora Pass Road

Gary: It was mid 20's the first morning in Bridgeport but not too bad at the lake. Those are MJ's hands. The only  time my hands got cold was filling the bubble with water. Every fish would shake the water out of it.

Hawk: The big cutt had a large bite out of one side and we wondered if it was an eagle, a bear or one of those big angry hook jawed brooks.
Hardrock

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 10:05:50 AM »
Awesome pictures! Looks you had. Another beautiful trp.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 07:41:45 AM »
and yet another great trip...   i still want to be you when i grow up:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 05:21:22 AM »
bj, must have had the "bite side" down for that cutthroat shot.  Great bird pictures as well as all the rest.  Thanks!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 10:08:41 AM »
Saudust
yeah Mike didn't want his prize to look "defective". The fish was very active when it swam off but had definitely been injured.
Hardrock

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 02:43:03 PM »
Wow BJ
great report and pictures - you guys rock the  :fishing4: