Author Topic: May 14th - 17th at RCL  (Read 2802 times)

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
May 14th - 17th at RCL
« on: May 20, 2015, 02:37:05 PM »
 Wife and I made it to French camp Thursday afternoon (site #38) and it was a warm 35 degrees and snowing. Set up camp...only after building a warm camp fire. Friday morning I was up at 5 am anxious to fish only to see that it was 23 degrees...so much for getting her up. So....found things to do around camp to occupy me while it warmed a bit and she arose from her warm bed. Tried RCL at the boat ramp Friday evening for a while and it started snowing like crazy. Only had a few bites but seemed they were not that serious on wanting to feed...go figure. Saturday morning I arose early and ventured by myself to the boat ramp. I managed to land several rainbows (all small) and one Brookie that was right at 14 inches (on a worm). I released them all thinking that it would be a better day for fishing and I would catch many more...wrong. Left my spot...that was quickly filled by my fishing neighbor...to go back down the canyon for Lynda. We made it back up to the lake at the outlet on the rocks. I was able to land several more rainbows but they were even smaller than the ones I caught that morning. They are not stocking the nice sized trout anymore? All the ones I caught, other than the Brookie, looked like I could have used them for bait themselves. The trip was great though. I love the cold weather and she does too. Just so glad we are able to continue our trips together...the fish is an added bonus. The beauty and experiences are the reason for the adventure, and the makings of more fond memories...together.
"Don't get no better than this!"

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: May 14th - 17th at RCL
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 04:31:16 PM »
Sounds like a nice trip. For as cold as it was, you did OK on fishing.  So now youíre seeing the results of the smaller stocked trout we have been talking about on this forum all winter.  The nice sized Brookie was a wild trout washed down from Little lakes Valley.  Maybe if most people release these small stocked trout this summer, they may get big enough to keep by fall when Iím heading to the creek. ;D

Keep making more fond memories Fshrsmn!   :clap: :clap: :clap:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 07:25:45 AM »
yay!    another bucket full of good memeories!   so happy to hear you both made it up there to enjoy a few days:).   

and a 'warm 35 degrees' ?      is there really such  a thing?
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 05:17:18 AM »
Good for the two of you to get up to have another slice of Paradise to remember together.  Nothing more precious in my book.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 02:43:39 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

nothing else to say

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 09:54:13 AM »
Thank you everyone for the kind words. We are now looking into another trip the third weekend of September. We are already scheduled for a two week trip August 22 - September 7 to Yellowstone. So...we are hopeful to swing another four day weekend in September to RCL to get our last FIX of the year (both...the surrounding beauty and the pie...hope they still have it then). Interesting how when something happens in your life you tend to see all the things you missed in the past. This last trip I saw the Mountain with new vision and it was even more beautiful than I have ever seen it. 
"Don't get no better than this!"