Author Topic: JMT  (Read 7970 times)

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
JMT
« on: May 25, 2015, 10:53:14 AM »
Wishing my nephew Camaron best of luck and safe travels on his John Muir Trail journey. The 220 mile hike starts tomorrow! Good luck Cam!

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: JMT
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 02:27:13 PM »
Here, Here - Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable journey Cam!

What a wonderful adventure to be starting at the beginning of summer, particularly during this drought period which will hopefully make river and creek crossings safer and easier - the Silver Lining to our Drought.

How old is he?  Travelling alone or with others?  Starting from Yosemite Valley or Whitney Portal?  Plan to meet him at any resupply point along the way?  If so, let him know that many send him best wishes and will be thinking of him during his journey.

All the best to Cam! :clap:

(Please keep us posted on his progress if possible)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 02:46:13 PM »
Good for him!  First time doing the JMT for me was way back when I was attending college on my summer break.  Those were the days, young legs that could hike all day.  Done it many times since, great scenic hiking trail. :hiking2:

Back in the day starting the JMT in May would have been suicidal, with the swollen creeks and rivers crossings and the snow deep in the passes.  But in a drought year, should be no problem.  Send him our best wishes!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 08:57:15 PM »
happy trails Cameron!  what an adventure....

i still remember the preperation and excitment from when hardrock and our dad did that trail.... such an adventure! 

lots of memories will be made:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 12:50:28 AM »
I agree with WS that May is early but I wish that I were going with him. Wishing him a safe and happy hike.   :hiking2:

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 10:44:15 AM »
Thanks all! cam is 23 and is hiking with 3 other boys around the same age. I guess one of the boys knows a Ranger who somehow got them the early start. A few of us are going to meet them at the Whitney Portal when they finish. Weird weather is my only concern. cam summited Mt. Whitney at the age of 9, so he can make the hike. I'll keep ya updated. Thanks again! Go Cam!

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 11:02:18 AM »
That is so cool I hope they have a Wonderful and Safe trip !!
The Creek is Waiting...

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 03:07:27 PM »
Red's Meadow to Purple Lake today! so far so good.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 06:04:04 PM »
yay!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 11:45:21 AM »
Cam called this morning from the top of Mt. Whitney! Tired and hungry but glad to be almost done. Way to go boys! Trip of a life time I'm sure.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 11:47:15 AM by Sierraslam »

RockToad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 11:49:39 AM »
Incredible!!! :clap:

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 07:28:53 PM »
Fantastic! and in such a fast time.  Glad all went well and hope they had a great time. 

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 12:34:24 AM »
That is a fast hike. I'm glad that they are so close and everything is good.

DoubleDingo

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 01:50:54 PM »
At least there is some really good food to eat up at the Portals and big portions too.
Better is a dry morsel with quietness, Than a house full of feasting with strife. Pro. 17:1

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 02:17:05 PM »
Only 2 of the original 4 finished the trail. 15 miles a day is a grueling pace! one dropped out in Mammoth, and the other boy at the next food drop. Cam looks like he lost weight for sure. I'll see if I can get some pictures up from him. I guess they had rain, hail, wind, the whole deal. So proud of my nephew. Cam actually won the $50,000 1st prize on the show Wipe Out, so I have come to expect great things from him. 220 miles in 15 days is equally impressive. Great job Cam!

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 05:34:01 AM »
Living the dream!  Totally cool and I'm just sittin' here this morning applauding him.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 06:09:27 AM »
GREAT accomplishment for the young man. I just know he could not help learning a lot about himself in the past few days.
On a side note, the uncle is as proud of him as he w/b his if he were his son. I detect quite the bond Keith.... :rotflmao:
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 06:58:34 PM »
That is an amazing accomplishment !!! 
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 11:29:24 AM »
You have lit a fire under me. I NEED to do this. I would want to take about a month or so to do it though, so that I can stop and stay places I like along the way. I'm thinking next August if I can get everything figured out! Time to start hiking even more to get in better shape!
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 12:00:25 PM »
I'm with you MD on the month or maybe more thing. I want to stop and smell the roses along the way. Maybe even fish a few side canyons and valleys.

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 03:39:24 PM »
I was thinking taking the trail in 2 separate summer seasons. I'll never be able to get a month off to do it. I asked Cam if they had any time to look up off the trail. He did catch some beautiful Golden hybrids out of Virginia Lake, and watched a massive spawn of Goldens in the outlet of Guitar Lake. Did not fish the spawning trout as I have taught him well.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:42:12 PM by Sierraslam »

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 11:15:58 PM »
The energy and enthusiasm of youth is wasted hurrying on to the next favorite thing. 

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 01:55:42 PM »
To long of a trek for me.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 06:42:11 PM »
I did it south to north and north to south two consecutive summers in high school with five friends. We made numerous duffel bag food drops at spots prior to the hike. We took almost two months to complete making many layovers. Time in the sierra will never amount to those trips again. Even the greatness of working part time for some pack stations can not compete with those trips, albeit it made the passes easier!
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 06:50:16 PM »
Two months, now that is the kind of trip I'm talking about. Fish are biting, no mosquitos, alpenglow @ morn/eve? Ya, I think I'll stay over here a few days and enjoy it.