Author Topic: Pine Creek to JMT to Mosquito Flat -  (Read 3530 times)

wynsor

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Pine Creek to JMT to Mosquito Flat -
« on: June 07, 2015, 07:58:35 PM »
 :hiking2: Trip planned from 6/28/15 to 7/3/15. Leave from Pine Creek up to Honeymoon Lake to JMT to Mosquito Flats.
Any campsite suggestions? Water levels?

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Pine Creek to JMT to Mosquito Flat -
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 12:53:38 AM »
wynsor, are you going over Italy Pass and down past Lake Italy and the Bear Lakes or Pine Creek Pass - French Canyon through Hutchinson Meadow?

wynsor2

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 08:05:11 PM »
We plan to follow the more traveled trail - Pine Creek Pass, Hutchinson Mdw, Sheldon Pass, then head back to Mosquito Flat via Mono Creek Trail Jct.
What is the trail like going "cross country" Italy Pass and the Bear Lks?
This is from Wynsor - had trouble getting back on the Message Board.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 11:43:39 PM »
I have not been over Italy Pass or even along the other way you are planning. I have hiked from Pine Creek to North Lake and also from Duck Lake in Mammoth to LLV. There are plenty of camp sites and water in the Pine Lake and Honeymoon area. Hutchinson Meadow area is beautiful with lots camp sites also. If you are ready to camp when you first reach the Piute trail there is an awesome camp next to the creek maybe 100yds upstream to the east otherwise you will find more camping down stream. The trail between there and Edison Lake is what I have not done yet. Because the lake is so low I'm not sure if VVR will run the ferry or not. If you can get in and out of VVR reasonably it sure is nice to stop for a layover day. Great steaks and breakfast along with a shower is real nice mid hike. Camping at VVR is free but they make up for it w/everything else. Going up Mono Creek there is another great camp just before you get to the Second Recess trail. There are a few other sites near the Second Recess trail also. Great fishing here in the creek also. Fourth Recess Lake is a must stop and has good campsites including the packers camp we stayed at. If you walk along the east shore it sits above the lake in the trees before the boulder fields start.

Links to my trip report. Not a lot of useful info but some pictures that you might enjoy.

Our 2014 trip from Pine Lakes to North Lake
http://www.rockcreeklake.com/board/index.php?topic=861.msg9213#msg9213

2012 Mammoth to LLV
http://www.rockcreeklake.com/board/index.php?topic=245.msg3178#msg3178
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:52:59 PM by Gary C. »

wynsor2

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 08:39:05 PM »
thanks for the feed back - great pics - Im ready to go.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 06:55:46 PM »
The country there is open and easy to follow. Have a topo and use common sense and you will be fine. It has been some years since I ventured of trail there, bet even then it was travelled enough to have "use trails" from people to follow. Some special country back there.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.