Author Topic: Camping in Rockcreek lake  (Read 3398 times)

2thdk

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Camping in Rockcreek lake
« on: June 10, 2015, 12:53:47 PM »
I am planning a camping trip for my family with very young kids and need some information.  Since I don't have reservation and there are no sites available, how difficult is it to get a site on walk-in basis in july or august?  by the way, heading up there on thursday or friday.  also reserveamerica state it has a shower facility but I don't recall seeing one up there.  any input will be greatly appreciated.
Modify message

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Camping in Rockcreek lake
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 01:12:06 PM »
Please don't take offense. but in my opinion and many others camping at the lake is like camping on the San Diego Freeway with water. you have a lot of traffic all day long and if I had young kids I would be very cautious....I would consider other campgrounds in Rock Creek that would have 10 times less traffic....

I base my opinion of over 50 years camping up there...

DoubleDingo

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 01:48:26 PM »
I'm with R96 on that one.  We always stayed down in French Camp when I was a kid.  Some fond memories of those trips.  Now that I'm older I like the campgrounds up higher but have never considered camping at the lake.
Better is a dry morsel with quietness, Than a house full of feasting with strife. Pro. 17:1

2thdk

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 02:24:36 PM »
thanks for the advice.  I will look for different campground. 

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
plus with the high altitude of the lake, it may be better with the little ones to camp down lower... perhaps down in  French camp...  where the elevation is lower.  (its still high down there, but no where near as high as the lake)

plus you have phone reception in French camp..   could ease some travel concerns.  and tom's is right there for that emergency ice cream run:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 05:57:21 PM »
I would say camp in East Fork or Iris for July and August...French camp can get pretty hot then and with little ones you will be spending a lot of time at camp.  The Resort offers showers and the Whitmore Pool off of 395 by the Green Church is a nice place to go for a swim then a shower...especially for the kids.  Prices are cheap too...$4.75 for adults and $3 for kids. I would agree with no camping at the lake.  It is a parking lot and not a big area for kids.
The creek is waiting...

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 09:00:14 PM »
It's so much more fun to come up and just wing it. Your trip will be what you make of it.

I might by pass French Camp, and hit both Iris and Big Meadows, then East Fork, after that Upper Pine Grove. Just to find an acceptable site.

I have some great memories from some of the lesser campsites I've stayed in over the years. The worst site in the canyon could make for the best trip ever.

Just say'in.

Please let us know how your trip went.

Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 07:12:10 AM »
Iris , Big Meadow or Eastfork is the way to go and if you want a shower closer than Whitmore pool you can either drive up to the lodge ( on the left ) 5.00 for a shower or to the resort ( on the right ) tokens but both on the road up to the lake. The pool was always a hit with my kids when they were young and don't forget the fish hatchery but the one absolute must is the Resort  for PIE  :pie2:
The Creek is Waiting...

2thdk

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 11:50:10 AM »
again, thank you for the information and suggestions.  I've been fishing at rock creek lake close to 20 years and only stayed at French cg once, only to sleep in my SUV during my solo fishing trip.  If I recall, it was a nice place and I had cell service as mentioned.  We will be in mammoth next week doing little fishing, Bodie, and hikes so I will check out the campgrounds then.  Showers at resort or Whitmore pool, burgers and ice cream at Tom's... they all sound good.  And the pies, they had some last year so they might want some more like everyone here.  thanks again.