Author Topic: Targeting Brown Trout in the ES  (Read 5059 times)

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Targeting Brown Trout in the ES
« on: June 12, 2015, 01:59:42 PM »
Hello all - been enjoying everyone's posts and trips so far this year! 

I wanted to ask about brown trout: I've caught them in many bodies of water in the ES over the last 10 years or so, but my 12 year old daughter is interested in targeting each different species this summer.  The brown trout is the one species that I'm having a bit more trouble with outside of, "Well, they are in there I swear!"  And then crossing our fingers. :)  This is because there aren't really any waters that exclusively house brown trout. 

So, I wanted to ask what might be our best bets in terms of targeting browns (we're OK if we don't catch).  Right now I am thinking the Owens River, all the waters up to Long Lake in LLV, and Parker Lake.  Any tips?  Tricks? 

(We primarily do barbless lure/fly spin-cast fishing.)

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Targeting Brown Trout in the ES
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 05:34:17 PM »
I've caught Browns all over it seems but when I stop to think about it most places were primarily RB and Brookie waters. Lower Owens is pretty consistent for small Browns. From Long Lake in Bishop Canyon we only caught RBs and Brooks but from the outlet stream below the only thing that I caught were Browns. The trip to Long Lake would make for a great day hike as well. Also if I remember correctly we caught mostly small Browns from Rush Creek above Silver Lake in the June Lake Loop.

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 07:28:53 PM »
So in addition to the LLV area, another area that will help you target the variety you are targeting is the top of the Lee Vining Canyon.  Lee Vining creek off of CA 120 on the spur road up to Saddlebag Lake has historically offered a 'Brown Rich' environment, in a beautiful setting with several nearby options for fishing, scenery and CA History.  if you drive west on CA 120 from Mono Lake/Lee Vining towards the Tioga Pass, you will pass Ellery Lake and come upon the Saddlebag Lake road and the Junction Campground.  The creek at this intersection as well as above and below it are regularly stocked (in the past years at least) with Rainbows.  But just above the small bridge/culvert road crossing into the Junction Campground and for 2 miles upstream is a wild Brown Trout haven with voracious and forgiving feeders that readily rise to dries and nymphs along with small spinners such as small Panther Martins and other High Sierras favorites.  Usually not large, but colorful and aggressive, they can make for a great time no matter what the weather or other factors.  Also, most of the creek runs through small meadows so it is fairly safe and friendly for kids in the age range of your daughter.

If you are staying in the Rock Creek or Bishop Creek Canyons, Mammoth or June Lake loop, the trip to the Tioga Pass and Saddlebag Lake area makes a great day trip to broaden your horizons if you haven't been there. :flyfish:

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 10:32:42 AM »
Browns are NOT that hard to catch,  and if you are staying in the Rock Creek area,  why drive all the way to tim buc to while there are plenty of browns in Rock Creek?  The key is,  definetely lure fish,  preferebly flyfish (with a flyrod by the way!).  and don't fish all the community holes in campground areas...although they can be good!  Salim hammered them during last years club event right in the calm waters in the middle of east fork.  Rock Creek,  Bigpine,  Lee Vining,  they are all good,  so is the wild trout area of Rush Creek,  go get em!
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 10:27:32 AM »
Thanks so much for all the tips.  I have been to all of the areas you mention - but not specifically to those sections - I've just missed them for whatever reason.  We'll definitely give the Lee Vining area a try - my daughter loves 20 Lakes basin so that will be a great place to try!

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 11:27:14 AM »
When I was at RC this year with Terry and ABSN all I saw in the creek were small browns. Grab a fly rod and maybe they'll bite. I could not convince them though  :lol2:
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 06:49:55 PM »
My son and I fish the creek and no Browns. Terry and Salim take Cody with them and return with numerous pictures of him and the Brown Trout he caught (C&R). My suggestion, Bring a cigar and follow Terry and Salim.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 09:21:41 AM »
Packer, I'll bring a few cigars to club along with tamales (hope you are planning to make your cornbread chili again it goes great with the tamales!).
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 08:22:31 AM »
I certainly can do that
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 08:29:16 AM »
If I had to pick one spot to catch brown trout, I would go to the Owens River.  Brown trout dominate in that river, although there are plenty of wild and stocked rainbows too.  Where in the Owens River? 

Upper Owens holds larger brown trout, I average 12 to 14 inches plus.  Hot Creek is a productive spring creek, but often gets crowded during the warmer months.  also lots of the Upper Owens is held by private ranches as I found out last year.  Upper Owens stretches from Big Spring to Lake Crowley.  Good open sections to fish along the way.

Middle Owens River or sometimes called Owens River Gorge runs from Lake Crawley to Pleasant Valley Lake, about 20 miles.  What I like about the Gorge is the flows are relative constant but access can be difficult.  I catch browns in the 8 to 10 inches range mostly.  Just watch out for the rattlesnakes!

Lower Owens River runs from below Pleasant Valley Lake and stretches to Tinemaha Reservoir about 25 miles downstream. Best place to catch the elusive browns is at the Wild Trout section.  This is just below Pleasant Valley dam and includes about 3 miles of river.  Below this section warm-water species such as bass become more common though trout fishing still occurs.  Flows in this stretch do fluctuate often due to the water needs of Los Angeles.

Like other posters have said, browns are in Rock Creek, McGee Creek and Lee Vining Creek just to name a few.  Just fish away from the campgrounds and be sneaky, you know hide behind a rock, a tree and get down low as they are so finicky sometimes.
Good luck and hope to hear about your daughters’ success!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."