Author Topic: bodie heritage tour  (Read 5298 times)

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
bodie heritage tour
« on: June 16, 2015, 07:29:46 PM »
this weekend i went on the bodie heritage tour... a 2 day 4x4 tour and history lessons on the back roads around bodie...  oh my goodness!   information galore!   so much on how everything came togwther to make bodie possible...

i drove up to twin lakes outside of brdgeport friday evening...

first day of the tour, we started at dogtown, where not much is left..

from there it was off to monoville, and then up the cottonwood canyon road,,, along the way, we passed several old cabins..

after lunch at the picnic grounds at bodie, it was off to the bodie bluff... which is an area closed to the public. i had no clue that this even existed!

we stopped by a couple of mines, then off to the railroad depot...this is where the trains brought in all of the firewood needed to run the steam engines that were used to run the stamping mills..

this is one o fthe scenes from the wall paper... yes, we got to go inside:).  this is still around from the 1800's!

from the bodie bluff:)

and the views thruout the day... fantastic..

one of the toll buildings along bodie road... they had to pay per item for everything that traveled those roads....and the toll stations were every 12 miles or so.. that is why there are so many personal items left in bodie, it was too expensive to take them out..

and yet another stamp mill along bodie creek....

the next day it was out to mono mills...to see where the firewood started from.. 10,000 acres clear cut while bodie was in its heyday.. wow!

then passing sights,and ending at lundy canyon for lunch... did you know that canyon was also full of gold mines?

after lundy. it was over to the place of the jordan power plant, which was wiped out in an avalanche.. but it was the power source for bodie.. and then to dynamo pond, where the first electricity to bodie came from...

so much to learn, incredible.....

and heading back yesterday.. mammoth with almost no snow... ugh

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 07:37:53 PM by Little Hardrock »
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: bodie heritage tour
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 07:39:21 PM »
Great Trip Report and fantastic photos! :clap:

Very interesting info about the history that isn't accessible to the public.  Looks like you sure did cover a lot of territory, let alone with all of the history to boot.

BTW - did you get to Burger Barn and try the Tacos?  :-)

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 09:05:07 PM »
yes... on sat evening as i stumbled back into bridgeport.. the burger barn was open..( it hadnt been open on friday night).  and i had tacos..  THEY WERE HUGE!  and yummy... then it was back to the hotel and crash for the night.

the tour was lead by the head of the bodie foundation, who is a walking google of information on the history and families of the era...  we also had a geologist who had mapped the standard mine about 15 years ago, who gave us a ton of info on the rocks and land formation in the area....a grandaughter of a bodiet, and the grandson of a former owner of the jordan mine...   16 of us in the group.

things like they dug a ditch from virgina lakes to monoville (yes, several miles)to supply water for the town and the slouse boxes...they built dams across the draws so they could regulate the flow as they looked for gold...  and they had to dig a trench from the sierras to bodie for drinking water..another many miles...  and yes, the ditches are still there! 

i think its gonna take me a while to digest all of the info and sights...

here is the view from jordan,, across mono lake with the whites in the far distance..

and the best highlight... meeting up with beldingi for dinner on sunday:)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:10:41 PM by Little Hardrock »

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 11:28:01 PM »
Great way to spend a weekend. Love your pictures.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 07:04:01 AM »
WOW ! One of these days
The Creek is Waiting...

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
Great report LHR and outstanding pics.

The toll roads explain a lot, something I didn't know of.

What a great trip.

Thanks for sharing it.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 03:30:56 PM »
After having driven past the turn off to Bodie many times, two years ago we took a drive up from Rock Creek and spend a few hours there. If you've never been there, you've go to go. It's so desolate and isolated I can't even imagine living there back in the days before creature comforts. The toll roads do explain a lot.

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 04:35:46 PM »
Can't recall if I posted this tale before but here it is. In June,1951, my dad, stepmother and I went treasure hunting in downtown Bodie. With a metal detector, Geiger counter and shovels we went through the buildings. Got a real strong metal signal in one building and started digging in the dirt floor. Brought up an old shovel about a foot down So much for getting rich! I walked up and down the streets with a .22 single action Colt plinkiing at various targets. Not a soul around. Can you imagine doing that today?
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 09:54:45 AM »
Bob, if you were to do that today we all would be taking up a collection to throw your bail, lol.

That must have been amazing to walk those streets back in the early 50's.

And I agree with Big Steve, if you haven't been to Bodie, it has to go on your bucket list.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 07:04:02 PM »
If you really want another early days experience, take the spring Bodie ride put on by Mammoth Lakes Pack Outfit. A bonus is that Dave Stamey is part of the trip, at least for many years past. One of the best Western singers in the world. He also worked for some years at Mcgee Creek Pack station, and has written songs about that area and another called Bodie. Google him for some great stuff. I think BJ did a few years back when I suggested it to him.

Wait....next year a CLUB Bodie ride to kick off the season???
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 07:44:28 AM »
it sounds like Craig is starting up some bodie trips from Virginia lakes as well... our guide, terri, will be on one of those rides in a few weeks talking about the history of bodie and the area...  so not only is she a walking google history person.. she is a mule riding one as well:)

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 01:01:05 PM »
so cool! I need to do that tour.

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 11:26:54 AM »
Great TR LHR!
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 08:32:42 AM »
That’s right up my alley Little Hardrock!  4X4 into the back roads to old mining towns with a historian.    Yes, there are many mines in Lundy Canyon plus many more in nearby Lake Canyon (May Lundy Mine).  Hope she pointed out the super steep trails to get to the mines in Lundy Canyon, almost straight up!

I met Terry Geissinger, quite by accident when they were a having a fundraiser in Lee Vining in their book store.  I bought her book, “Bodie 1859-1962” that was just published a year earlier and chatted with her for a little while.  She does know her history!  Wow!  Anyway nice trip report and pictures.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."