Author Topic: Death Valley  (Read 2687 times)

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Death Valley
« on: June 21, 2015, 12:13:37 PM »
Here are a few pictures from my photo trip to Death Valley this past March. The weather was cool for Death Valley (about 100 degrees the first day, and in the 90's the next couple of days). This was my first trip to Death Valley and I highly recommend visiting. It's one more thing off my "bucket list"!

Zabriskie Point at Dawn. The area surrounding Zabriskie Point had been closed for renovations to the parking and viewing areas, but thanks to Little Hardrock for the message that it was opening up the day before we left! Might have missed it otherwise.

Trona Pinnacles. The pinnacles are in an area on the way into Death Valley. The Trona Pinnacles landscape consists of more than 500 tufa spires. The pinnacles have been used as settings in TV shows and movies including Planet of the Apes, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek V The Final Frontier, Lost in Space and many more.

Ubehebe Crater, located within Death Valley. You can hike to the bottom or walk around the rim of the crater or simply drive up to the edge and look down into the crater from next to the parking lot.

Natural Bridge Canyon, a short 1/2 mile hike from the trailhead off of Badwater Road

Maybe another 1/2 mile past Natural Bridge Canyon through narrow canyons you come to Golden Canyon

According to the National Park Service website, The Devil's Golfcourse is an "Immense area of rock salt eroded by wind and rain into jagged spires. So incredibly serrated that “only the devil could play golf on such rough links."

A trip to Death Valley would not be complete without visiting Scotty's Castle and taking a walking tour of the inside and learning about the history of con-man Scotty, and his millionaire benefactor
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 12:16:39 PM by Claremont Dude »
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Death Valley
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 01:45:55 PM »
Beautiful!!!   :clap:

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 07:01:44 PM »
love love love the photos from zabriskie point!   so glad they opened just for you!

and ok,, all of the photos are great:)

another sucessful journey under your belt:)

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 08:31:14 AM »
Really beautiful Pictures.  You have a great eye for catching the best photos! :clap: :clap:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

RockToad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 09:51:03 AM »
Incredible pictures!  Thank you so much for sharing them with us! :clap: