Author Topic: Sardine lakes  (Read 2673 times)

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Sardine lakes
« on: June 22, 2015, 03:38:37 PM »
Are the Sardine lakes any good? Want some info before I put in the work to get there!

Thanks in advance.

:clap:
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Sardine lakes
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 05:28:18 PM »
Seven miles up and back with 2,700 vertical feet to Lower Sardine Lake.  Its a tough hike up but Ive been up there twice in the past 5 years.  Its a Brookie lake for Lower Sardine; Upper Sardine appeared fishless to me and was a real shallow lake. 

Fishing was excellent both times last visited; catching 50+ are not hard to do in about 2 hours of fishing.  They were averaging only 910 last time with a few to 12, but most were stunted.  I have caught up to 14 fat ones in the past, but this drought may be having an impact on this lake.  If you go, keep 10 per person per the regulations.  Lower Sardine is overpopulated.

The worst part of the hike is coming back as you last mile is uphill at Little Walker Lake.  I cuss out the section every time I hike it.

You also have Mono Pass in another mile (700 ft. more elevation gain) plus the miners cabins will be to your left if youre in to history of the time.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 03:35:37 PM »
Thanks for you reply Wshawkins! I was hoping you would. I would actually love to see the old miners cabins. I'm a part time prospector and the last time I was in that area the mineralization was amazing!! I think I may put in the time to get up there in a couple weeks, possibly stay back there a couple of nights to do some exploring?

Any cool things that are a must see up that way?
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 05:43:06 AM »
Mcgee Dude, you can also access those lakes from Dana Meadows, a much easier route.  Hiking in from Walker Lake you'll realize why it's called Bloody Canyon for obvious reasons.  It's bloody steep, bloody rocky, and bloody strenuous.  Been both ways and each was rewarding at Lower Sardine.  Pulled a fat 16" brookie out of it one trip.  The Mono Pass has that little pond of a lake that had all the frogs when we hiked that way from Dana Meadows.  Don't know how the drought has affected that.  Lots of miners' cabins on that route, too.  Wshawkins posted a picture from above the Mono pass when he was standing on a mine entrance ledge, watching hikers pass by him without ever notcing him so far above.

Yeah, the hike out is bloody awful, too, from Walker Lake to the parking lot trailhead.  Keep an ice chest in your rig with a cold one waiting for you. 
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 08:30:38 PM »
Mcgee Dude

As mentioned the hike up bloody canyon is brutal, did it myself about 3 years ago in May. Cant speak for the fishing as I was too frickin tired by the time I got there. The fishing at walker lake though is quite good.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !