Author Topic: July Trip  (Read 3942 times)

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
July Trip
« on: July 08, 2015, 06:14:42 PM »
Hello everyone.  I'm headed up to east fork the end of this month with my boys for some rock creek action. I can hardly wait!!
We have stayed in the area before but this is the first time camping at east fork.  I could use some advice on where some of you get your firewood. Is outside wood allowed? I didn't see it posted anywhere on the campground website.
Also, this is the first year I will be taking the kiddos hiking into little lakes valley.  Any tips on the best fishing lakes in the to get them on the fish?  It seems from what I've read any of the lakes are a good bet for some brookies.  I think we may go as far as chicken foot but I think that will be it since I'm not sure how long the 5y/o will last. I was thinking heart lake may be a good place to spend some time but appreciate any advice.

Thanks for any advice in advance. I'm so stoked!

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: July Trip
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 07:22:26 PM »
you can get some firewood at mammoth firewood.. 760) 873-3333

I would call and check their hours.... they are not far off of the main road into mammoth,,, you can buy little.. or buy a truck full like packer just did.. the photo is in the club 2015 thread

someone will chime in on fishing...

but I would caution planning on a long trip back there due to the altitude.. it could take its toll on both you and the little ones.
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:26:27 PM »
Thanks little hard rock I'll give them a call.
As far as the hike I plan to do that on day 3 to get acclimated, but still won't go too far in. Thanks again!

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 10:28:41 PM »
Not sure about the lakes back there,  but fish the creeks in LLV,  and make sure to flyfish,  don't waste your time with bait.  Tons of brookies in those streams,  especially going into Chickenfoot.  Also,  just pull off to the side of the road (then again that might not be possible with the closures)  down near French Camp,  and collect a bunch of pine cones to burn,  you'll save money on firewood...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 06:43:00 AM »
As for wood for the camp fires, I usually bring my own.  I do collect a box full of pine cones while up there as they make an excellent fire starter!

As for fishing, always did best between the lakes in the creek as Topwater Terry mentioned.  When my girls were younger, Heart Lake was always a good choice for a family hike, picnic and fishing day.  UL spinning outfit with a bubble and fly did the trick for us.  Try the inlet on the south side of the lake, great fishing spot where the kidís should not get their lines tangled as itís a nice open spot.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 08:54:04 AM »
Thanks everyone! One week and counting the days!

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 01:37:42 PM »
I agree that fly fishing the creeks is a ton of fun! I wouldn't discount "bait" though. A Tiny Red Single Hook with 1 Salmon egg on it and you're going to catch fish all day long. Not big fish, but lots of them.

:hiking2:

:fishing3:
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

fishdad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 02:28:01 PM »
Thanks again guys.
Two further questions
1. Where can I buy the rock creek special fly? Do they have it at the resort shop?
2. Has anyone had good success on a fly and bubble wooly bugger at the main lake? wanted to have my 9 y/o try something different than just the nightcrawler/powerbait.

Thanks again!

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 02:36:59 PM »
I troll an olive wooly bugger from my float tube at Rock Creek Lake. It's my go to when I'm there and it never fails. Its so much fun when they hit it.

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 02:50:26 PM »
Fly/bubble running under the surface with beadhead bugger (black or dark purple) has worked well for me at the boat ramp. Up to 4 lbs. Only problem is you need waders to get out far enough because of the shallow water. However, nothing worked very well  July 10th, 11th, or 12th.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 07:05:06 AM »
Should do well with dark streamers, wooly buggers and the like.  Try a dark colored Matuka, always works for me at Rock Creek Lake, especially when trolling behind in a rented boat.

Should be able to find the Rock Creek Lake special fly in their store.  Also seen it sold in Mammoth, June Lake and Little Virginia Lake at the resort.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 01:21:32 PM »
What does this fly look like?