Author Topic: PCT BLOG  (Read 8407 times)

hiker steve

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
PCT BLOG
« on: July 13, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
Hi All,
I am not all that new to this board, however I do lurk about and read all the post.

I thought some of you might be interested in this-

A few years back there was a PCT thru hiker who created a blog and posted pictures and messages about this most demanding hike, Mexico to Canada. Unfortunately he contracted Giardia and could not finish his trek. I was addicted to his postings and very sadden when he had to call off his hike.

This summer there is an Australian hiker who is doing the same hike and has a great blog going. The pictures he post are super clear and I find his adventures just as addictive.

Below is a link to his most recent post and if you choose you can go back through the archive and follow from day one.

http://bikehikesafari.com/2015/07/12/pct-day-86-chester/

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: PCT BLOG
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
Thanks for that Hiker Steve!! Awesome!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:hiking2:

:pie:
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 02:48:36 PM »
Nice blog hiker steve.  For most part, John Muir Trail follows the same footpath as the longer Pacific Crest Trail.  So I met and talked to many PCT thru-hikers on my last JMT quest from last year.  These hikers are amazing, some hiking up to 30 miles per day!  They had some great stories to tell on their adventures!  The trail is 2,650 miles long and it generally takes the entire snow-free season just to walk it.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 04:30:05 PM »
This blog is seriously AMAZING!!!!    :hiking2:

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 07:34:05 PM »
I read and really enjoyed the blog of the hiker that fell ill.... His experiences were fascinating reading

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 09:54:25 PM »
I read up to day 42 and couldn't keep my eyes open....The pictures he has posted are fantastic...More reading of his blog tomorrow... As of today he is still in Calif on the trail..

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 05:03:06 AM »
Oh, yeah, new reading material for sure.  Thanks a huge bunch, Hiker Steve.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

hiker steve

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 09:08:04 AM »
I figured there would be some love of a hiking blog around these parts. Glad you all enjoy it as much as i do.  :hiking2:

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 11:24:19 AM »
anyone have a link to the blog of the man that fell ill? I'd love to start that one as well.

hiker steve

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 11:49:18 AM »
McGee Dude,
The old blog may exist somewhere cyber space but it could be a tough find.
It had to have been 5+ years ago and he used a satellite phone to post his messages and pictures. Unfortunately he contracted giardia just about where the new hiker is now and had to quit.

Our new blogger has much better technology.

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 04:18:11 PM »
Thanks for that info Hiker Steve, I'll try and track it down and re post it for those who want to read it. I'm so glad you showed us this blog.

Thanks again!   :clap:

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »
Just finished reading his latest blog, still in Calif but has hiked about 1200 miles...The photos he has posted of the Sierras are some of the best I have ever seen... Amazing that he really has had no problems or any serious injuries...

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 10:01:23 AM »
I agree retired, the pictures are amazing!! I really like how he's told his stories of his trail experiences, it really makes me want to go.

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 01:43:26 PM »
I was curious how much the trip is costing him, he replied to my facebook post that he planned for one thousand dollars a month and 5 thousand for the entire trip which he thinks will be 5 months. He said so far he is staying on budget....That doesn't include airfare to the states and the cost of all his hiking gear.... His tent alone cost 350.00.. I have read most of his other blogs,,,, I must say he must be rather well off money wise to travel the world like he is doing...

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 08:34:41 AM »

Still reading his daily blog... He is on day 99 and is still in Northern Calif...He has hiked 1600 miles so far.... I find it amazing that the majority of miles hiked is in Calif...Curious what the miles will be when he hits the Oregon border....Every day he post some beautiful photos..

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 11:37:49 AM »
Retired I'm still reading it every day as well! It's very amazing how many miles he's put behind him. I was really surprised how fast he traveled through the Mojave. I would think that part would kill me. His pictures are awesome! His constant talk about food makes me hungry!!

hiker steve

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 02:46:55 PM »
McGee Dude, No kidding, the Mojave went by quickly. it seems like Big Bear to Kennedy Meadows only took a week or so. I really look forward to his postings and I'm glad a lot of you folks do so as well.

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 02:54:12 PM »
I just came back from the Sierra. The ENTIRE time I was out hiking I thought about all the men and women that are even further back into the mountains living out their dreams to complete the JMT/PCT. On one of my longer hikes this past weekend, I really wondered how they keep up their spirits and keep on pushing forward. These hikers never really left my thoughts this weekend. They really are lucky people!

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 05:33:02 AM »
Aug 2, was his 107th day on the trail and he finally reached the Oregon border after 1700 miles of hiking in Calif.. It amazes me that the trail thru Calif. is that many miles... He said he has endured a lot of smoke from the fires in Northern Calif...

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 07:38:34 PM »
He is on his 125th day and only 400 miles to the finish line in Canada. But the fires in Washington state have closed sections of the PCT and he doesn't know if he and other hikers will be able to continue to finish the journey he started in April....I have really enjoyed following his progress every day and he has responded to every comment I made to him....

hiker steve

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 06:44:58 AM »
Our PCT hiker is nearing the Canadian border. I will really miss his blog posts since I regularly check my email for updates. What a great journey he has documented. I thought I was a pretty tough hiker when I did Yosemite Valley to Clouds Rest and back in a day, this guy essentially does that everyday for 130 days straight.  :hiking2:

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 03:58:47 PM »
He is only about 165 miles from the border as of the 4th, he should finish any day now....Every time I have posted to his blog he has always answered me. His next trek is to bike from Mexico to the tip of South America. God knows how long that will take....

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
  • California Native and Sierra lover for 60 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 10:34:38 AM »
I picked up a virus 2 times when I checked his blog.  Anyone else have the same experience?  lf

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 08:16:12 PM »
Have been on his face book post for over 2 months and check it 2-3 times a day and no problems..

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 08:43:35 PM »
On Sept. 11th he finished the PCT and made it into Canada...his trek was 146 days and he said he lost 15KG, which is about 30 or more pounds I think. I have really enjoyed reading his post since he started in April