Author Topic: Planning trip July 18 - 21  (Read 2567 times)

Sierrastock

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Planning trip July 18 - 21
« on: July 14, 2015, 08:42:48 PM »
My wife and I are taking a brief trip up to Rock Creek from Saturday July 18 - 21. We're planning to hike up Little Lakes Valley all the way up to Gem Lake. We also are thinking about taking a trip up to Convict Lake which I haven't fished in a long time. We've been coming up to RCL for over 20 years  and want to do some hiking and fishing. Any information on weather, hiking conditions and fishing would be appreciated. We look forward to getting up there to enjoy some mountain air and of course some Pie in the Sky.  :camping:

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: Planning trip July 18 - 21
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 09:12:11 PM »
I fished Ruby and Gem the week before the 4th....Nothing to write home about, the best was Gem for 6-8" brookies sight casted on drys... I 'fished both lakes hard, wet wading where I could and chucking metal into the deeps of Ruby, nada.  Wish I had better news. Maybe someone from last week's club event will have better/different news.  Tight lines all the same.
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 09:59:42 AM »
I've got the same report as Tex from Gem. Just 1 small brookie and a sore arm from all the casts. Very beautiful though. When you go to convict try fishing off the Handicap platform if there isn't anyone using it, I always seem to do really well there. Its to the left of the boat ramp ( Facing the lake ). Good luck, I just got back Sunday and I'm still jealous you get to go this weekend!

:bowdown:
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 11:10:20 AM »
Donít fret about the weather!  It will be cold, hot, chance of thundershowers, windy and a chance of perfect weather, all in the same day.  Just prepare for anything.  No problems on trial conditions as it a high use trail thatís in good condition and easy to follow.  Fishing has always been good to me all up and down little Lakes Valley trail.  Ruby, Gem Lakes and long Lake have been most kind to me for fishing, but the best fishing has always been in the creeks between the lakes fishing with a fly. :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Sierrastock

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 10:15:50 PM »
Thanks for the insight and information. We can't wait to get up there. How are the crouds on the trail up little lakes valley? We usually go up the south side of the lakes. It's seems to be less crowded.

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 11:21:28 AM »
The trail was wall to wall people last Monday. Bring your own rock to sit on!  :(
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock