Author Topic: Late Report, June 17-21  (Read 3030 times)

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Late Report, June 17-21
« on: July 19, 2015, 12:23:57 PM »
Met MJ in Leevining on the 17th and went up to Spillway Lake on Thursday. Fishing was fun, caught 50 or so on a red tail black gnat (wet). Mostly 10-12", probably 60/40 brooks vs brown. Mj used an assortment of dry and wet flies and caught a lot more small browns out of the inlet stream. Friday went up to Gardisky Lake. I swore I'd never go up that trail again but decided to show Mike the lake and check out the fishing, Got a lot of brooks but again nothing over 12". Friday afternoon went down to Lone Pine for the night and then up to Onion Valley and Big Pothole Lake Saturday. I had heard there were lots of big brooks in there to be caught on lures. I heard wrong about the big part. I knew the lake was surrounded by a boulder field but it was a lot worse than I thought. After the 4+ mile hike with elevation gain of about 2300', this old geezer abandoned ship and went back down to Gilbert Lake. Mike took on the boulders and caught a lot of fish but all really small. Looked like the lake is over populated for the amount of food available. I fiddled around Gilbert for about 3 hours waiting for MJ to get down. Got a lot of small brooks on fly/bubble while dodging a few rain showers.

A few pics follow:

Spillway Lake (poor transfer from Photobucket)

MJ cutting leader with his teeth

Gardisky Lake

Gardisky Brook

Sad Pic Of Saddlebag Lake

Heart Lake coming down from Big Pothole

Gilbert Lake

Had planned to add a short report from a trip up LLV on Monday after the Club but couldn't retrieve pics from phone. Any way, had a good hike  and got a few nice fish from an un named lake.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: Late Report, June 17-21
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 01:27:34 PM »
Great TR, Beautiful Pics and belated Happy Father's Day Weekend!  Glad you and your son were able to enjoy not only quality time together but also in a 'quality' location.

The pic of the Brookie from Gardisky looks like a better than average size for that location.

Am still amazed each time I see a pic shot in 2015.  We all know the snowpack/drought issues but it is still amazing - your shots from Gardisky and other lakes out of Lone Pine look like they were from late September of an average year, not mid June.

Any pics or updates on how the levels are at Ellery and Tioga lakes(?).

I have a ten year old son and I hope to have the same wonderful times in our future as you and MJ seem to enjoy.

:camping:

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 01:37:25 PM »
PAC

Ellery was full and Tioga was about half full. It looked awful.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 06:51:10 AM »
I had the same result as Mike at Big Pothole about 5-6 years ago, but did well at Heart, Gilbert and Flower Lakes with mostly Brooks and a few Rainbows at Heart Lake.  Even caught a small Brown at Gilbert Lake which surprised me.  I do like your nice sized Brookie you caught out of Gardisky.  Thanks for the report!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 12:08:16 PM »
I was up there a week or two before bj but the level of Ellery was full as bj said, but Tioga lake was low.

Tioga Lake at the dam

Tioga Lake Shoreline

The fish were jumping!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 01:14:11 PM »
Great pics. once again! Beautiful Brookie! Tioga is way low! Never seen it like that. Fishing looks good though.