Author Topic: LLV Campfires  (Read 2669 times)

Todd Johnson

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
  • The Creek is Waiting
    • View Profile
    • TRJ-Photography
LLV Campfires
« on: July 27, 2015, 01:11:30 PM »
Just wanted to check and I think I know the answer to this questing anyways.  But I figured I would ask.  Are you allowed to have campfire in LLV under the tree line?  Say Long Lake or Box?  I think Gem is right at the tree line. 
"The Creek is Waiting" - Hardrock - May he forever live on this board.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: LLV Campfires
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 02:33:04 PM »
I don't think that it matters where you are in relation to the tree line. It's my understanding that there are no fires allowed anywhere in the LLV area. Check with the White Mountain Ranger District in Bishop, maybe I'm wrong.

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 02:49:22 PM »
If you can, which i doubt, you'll still need a fire permit. It's a quick test online. You'll need it for anything that has flame, even a stove I believe. I may be wrong as I have just started to look into this sort of thing as well. One of the lakes I was thinking about doing it out ended up being in an area that no fires are allowed. It is below the tree line.
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

DoubleDingo

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 04:36:58 PM »
With the drought, it's probably a "No". 
Better is a dry morsel with quietness, Than a house full of feasting with strife. Pro. 17:1

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 10:00:07 PM »
Scout is right, there are no campfires allowed anywhere in the LLV.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Todd Johnson

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
  • The Creek is Waiting
    • View Profile
    • TRJ-Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 06:42:00 AM »
Thanks All.... That's what I thought as well.  Just wanted to be for sure.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 10:01:23 AM »
and even if you could have last year.. this year has tighter drought restrictions on campfires..

they have even barred campfires in some of the campgrounds up north!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 11:18:59 AM »
It has always been no fires above 10,000 feet for many years. Also many areas had no fire restrictions below that elevation. Davis and Hilton 2 were exempt from this until about three or four years ago. Sad, as that was one of the only areas in the Eastern Sierra backcountry that fires were allowed.

The main reason, especially above tree line (typically past 10,000) is that any downed wood needs to decompose to go back into the environment. By burning it, that depletes any in the area. Hence people saying "what no fires here at high altitude? No stuff around to cause a wildfire so what's the reasoning?" Talking to rangers a few years back about the Hiltons since there is a lot of wood in that area, the decision was made as many do not go out to gather wood, but take every last stick around the immediate camp spot area. That in turn does deplete the decomp factor  in certain areas. The best way to rectify that, put a no fire restriction. Sad as it was a bonus at the Hiltons. Now with the beetle problem, especially in the Hilton basin, there will be plenty of dead wood soon. But that bring cause for other no fire restrictions, too much around so any carelessness could spark a wildfire.

The only good part, you do not have to carry the weight of the marshmallows in your backpack. Room for another bottle of fine wine!
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Todd Johnson

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
  • The Creek is Waiting
    • View Profile
    • TRJ-Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 02:03:54 PM »
Thanks again for the info.