Author Topic: Best Trout Recipes?  (Read 7364 times)

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Best Trout Recipes?
« on: May 22, 2012, 10:43:01 AM »
Over the years I have pan fried or grilled in a basket over an open flame. I've never smoked the trout, although have tasted fresh smoked trout from others that have done so in camp. Anyone have any "Best Recipes" or different favorite methods of cooking trout?
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

exodus

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Best Trout Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:53:02 AM »
Lemon, salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil, green onions - wrapped in foil.  Yum!

Fredb

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 11:29:52 AM »
I found this seasoning at Bass Pro, really tasty

And don't forget to pick up a pair of these
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:33:11 AM by Fredb »

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »
I have a pair just like those Fred, but they make my feet smell.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 03:12:53 PM »
A different way, and works well if all you could come up with is some small ones.

Cover cleaned, heads removed trout with just enough water to cover in dutch oven. When cooked, use fork to debone trout. Add celery,carrots, onion, and corn and simmer a bit. Add some heavy cream and you have a great corn trout chowder.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 07:19:42 PM »
Lemon, salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil, green onions - wrapped in foil.  Yum!

Thats about how I do it, but I add Mama's secret blend of spices. Pan fry, or do the foil trick over the coals.

Too good!

OldSarge
Smokey's watching you!

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 08:45:05 PM »
It cost a little more but if you substitute Smoked Black Pepper for regular pepper it will give your fish a subtle smokey flavor.

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 09:05:42 PM »
Thanks Gary. I've never heard of smoked black pepper. It sounds intriguing. I found it offered on line, but do any market chains carry it?
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 09:10:54 PM »
I found this seasoning at Bass Pro, really tasty

And don't forget to pick up a pair of these

I may pick up the trout seasoning at Bass Pro Shop, but I think I may pass on the footwear.
 :thanks:

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 09:22:38 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the input.

Hey, OldSarge - I guess you'd have to kill me if you gave me "Mama's Secret Blend", right?

BTW, Packer -  I spent quite a bit of time in my youth fishing off the pier at San Buenaventura. My family had a camper and we would park in the lot next to the beach, just south of the pier. Back in the day you could stay overnight for free. Lots of great memories.

OldSarge

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 09:36:25 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the input.

Hey, OldSarge - I guess you'd have to kill me if you gave me "Mama's Secret Blend", right?

Naw, she is pretty good about letting her recipes out.

It is lemon grass, chopped fine, a little chopped fresh red pepper (hot!), curry powder, and a some 5-spice powder.
I don’t know the exact proportions, as she does it by the “pinch o’ this, and a shake o’ that” method.
The lemon grass and the chili are pan roasted (low heat, so they are really just dried, not cooked) in a wok until they are dried, and the rest of the stuff added. The mixture will keep for a while, so it is great when back-packing. I carry it in a zip-lock bag.

On the trail, I would take a freshly caught and cleaned trout and shake it in a zip-lock bag with corn meal. Then shake it in the zip-lock with the secret spice mixture. Then pan fry over the pack stove.
Smells great, and tastes better.

OldSarge
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:04:16 PM by OldSarge »
Smokey's watching you!

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 10:49:25 PM »
Making me hungry.  :lol2:

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 11:25:11 PM »
Naw, she is pretty good about letting her recipes out.

It is lemon grass, chopped fine, a little chopped fresh red pepper (hot!), curry powder, and a some 5-spice powder.
I don’t know the exact proportions, as she does it by the “pinch o’ this, and a shake o’ that” method.
The lemon grass and the chili are pan roasted (low heat, so they are really just dried, not cooked) in a wok until they are dried, and the rest of the stuff added. The mixture will keep for a while, so it is great when back-packing. I carry it in a zip-lock bag.

On the trail, I would take a freshly caught and cleaned trout and shake it in a zip-lock bag with corn meal. Then shake it in the zip-lock with the secret spice mixture. Then pan fry over the pack stove.
Smells great, and tastes better.

OldSarge

Thanks. I'll try to experiment with the proportions when I get a chance and give it a try. And thank Mama.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 11:28:04 PM »
Thanks Gary. I've never heard of smoked black pepper. It sounds intriguing. I found it offered on line, but do any market chains carry it?
I had a friend turn me on to my first can and have been buying it online since. I'm sure it's sold locally I just have not seen it. I would think someplace like Trader Joe's would carry it. I think that one of the guys I'm going backpacking with this weekend buys it locally, I'll ask him.

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 11:32:33 PM »
I had a friend turn me on to my first can and have been buying it online since. I'm sure it's sold locally I just have not seen it. I would think someplace like Trader Joe's would carry it. I think that one of the guys I'm going backpacking with this weekend buys it locally, I'll ask him.

Thanks. I'll look around too and if I see it I'll let you know.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 08:15:18 AM »
Awating more info. :lol2:

Marine One

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 07:01:55 PM »
Again! I got in late on this post! I am wondering if there are some kinda shoes available like those, but real flip-flopes you could wear? That would be very cool! We could all get a pair!

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 08:49:22 AM »
I stuff the trout with lemon slices, chopped green onion, kosher salt, pepper.  Wrap in foil and cook over the fire.

John