Author Topic: The bears in Rock Creek  (Read 15367 times)

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: The bears in Rock Creek
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 02:44:40 PM »
Keep it lit.  :bowdown:

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 12:35:41 PM »
There is no doubt that the bear below wasn't there to attack anyone. The man just stepped out and startled the bear and he defended himself. A man is injured and the bear is most likely dead by now. Bears in campgrounds are a recipe for disaster.

AUGUST 13, 2015
Media Contacts:
Kyle Orr, CDFW Communications, (916) 322-8958
Lt. Chris Stoots, CDFW Law Enforcement, (530) 523-6720

Black Bear Attacks Man in Mariposa County

Wildlife officials are investigating a bear attack that resulted in serious injuries early this morning in Mariposa County.

warden on site 1
A CDFW warden investigates on site where a black bear attacked a man this morning in Mariposa County.
The attack occurred in the town of Midpines, when the man stepped out of his house in the dark. A large black bear struck the man from behind, knocking the victim to the ground. The man fought the bear, and in the struggle sustained multiple puncture wounds and lacerations to his head, legs, arms, abdomen, hands and feet. Although injured, the man was able to get away from the animal and drive himself to the hospital, where he was treated and released later in the day.

California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) officers and USDA Wildlife Service personnel are jointly conducting an investigation. The bear was not in the vicinity when investigators arrived, but tracking dogs will be used to follow its scent. Due to the severity of the attack, and the need to collect forensic evidence from the bear, it will be humanely destroyed when found.

The Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office and CDFW are advising residents in the 5000 block of Colorado Road in Midpines to be aware of their surroundings and keep an eye on children and pets. Should you encounter a bear in that area, do not approach it and call 911.

CDFW reminds residents to be bear aware, never leave trash outdoors and do not feed pets outdoors. In addition, all rural residents and recreationist should be mindful of nearby wildlife and potential risks of this type. Attacks on humans by wildlife remain uncommon but do occur on occasion. Basic safety and preventative actions greatly reduce the risk of attack.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 04:03:24 PM »
The man stepped out of his house/cabin. Don't know why but perhaps he should have had a bright light with him since it was dark.  :lightning:

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 11:04:15 AM »
I just heard that Convict Lake  has a mama bear with 3 cubs  :tent: 

We have seen bears at Eastfork and Convict Lake off and on for the last 15 years and have never had any issues .
The Creek is Waiting...

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2015, 07:04:56 PM »
There is a short video on the Eastern Sierra fishing site where a guide took a video of a bear on the Upper Owens river... In all my years of fishing the river that was the first bear I have ever seen along the river..

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 08:11:25 PM »
Wow; the upper Owens.  The host at Brown's Town Milpond posted last year a picture of a bear climbing over a fence... Thought that was unusual so close to the valley floor.
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2015, 07:01:23 PM »
Spent 8/14-8/16 at Big Meadow #2. A camper with an RV in #1 had a bear try to break into his RV in the middle of the afternoon on 8/12 but scared the bear off. During dinner on 8/16 we heard the three dogs at #8 going crazy, about ten minutes later we spotted a medium sized bear between the 3rd creek (large one and the middle creek directly in back of #1 my son got our lab in the truck and we kept an eye on the bear for movement into the campground. After about 5 minutes the bear moved back toward #8 between the creeks.Got a few pictures. The camper in #1 Paul walked down to #8 to see what went on and to let people know about the bear.
He came back to let us know that the dogs in #8 had been off their leashes and a cub had wandered up to the trees behind their site the dogs chased the cub up a tree and the noise began. The bear that we saw must have been the mother as she had gone back in that direction. About 15 min later we spotted her and the cub heading past us toward Iris Meadow. Lucky for the campers at #8 there could have been a bad situation but didn't and I got more pictures. So glad that I got to see them at a safe distance and get pictures, and everything ended peacefully at #8.
I want to thank Gary C. for his advise on Red Chili Pepper Spray.  :clap: On our arrival at our camp site I hit the base of the trees around our site, the legs of our bear box, table, outside cooler (beer, water and soda only) and every days end on the tires of the truck. We also had a holster of bear spray on us when we hiked and fished. All I can say is think what you want as some have posted, but Like Gary tried to explain an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Thank's again Gary  :clap: And I hope everyone venturing up into the Rock Creek area has  a great time this summer and fall. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:04:12 PM by Trev Dog »

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2015, 07:03:29 AM »
I'm surprised the bear didn't come in your site to check out your beer cooler. Several years ago we left a cooler out that was empty and a bear came into our site looked in it and then wandered off . They do know what a cooler looks like .
As for the dogs don't even get me started on dogs off leash ... makes me crazy . I have 2 dogs( on leash) and this summer they have been really good at keeping the bears out of our sites .The bears at Eastfork  Didn't  like dogs  :doglick:
The Creek is Waiting...

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2015, 08:10:34 AM »
Hmmmm, dogs off leashes in campsite chase a cub up a tree? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. You know mama isn't far away and will come to their aid immediately. That's a dangerous situation in my book.

We have taken our 2 small dogs to the creek before, and wouldn't think twice about doing it again. In spite of all the recent bear activity. Bears don't want to mess with dogs or people imo. The above situation could generate abnormal behavior by that bear, and could have been easily prevented by restraining the dogs.

Really glad to hear all worked out ok.

I agree with Gary that bears in campsites will generally work out very bad. The bear will be labeled a nuisance, and eventually destroyed. I have myself been guilty of just observing them, when I should have ran them off at the start, either by yelling and/or pepper spray. Its just that they're cool to watch as long as they are behaving.

Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 09:19:52 AM »
Paul, I will rub some butter on you the next time you want to go watch a bear.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

yzrko

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2015, 01:12:15 PM »
We stayed the week of August 3rd at the Group camp site - lot of bear activity that week - we were visited by Mom & her cub twice that week - one morning around 10:30 as we were just cleaning up from breakfast - she must have smelled the bacon  :bbq: she actually climbed on the table - scared the heck out of our grandson  :freezing:  We had a horn & blew it a couple times & that did the trick.  That same morning a car was broken in to by the loading dock - not sure if it was Momma bear - but heard the car had quite a few fish in there !!   ** please remember folks - they're only looking for a quick & easy meal -no food, no bears **

Had a great week at the creek  :camping:

Moose

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Moose On Fire
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2015, 06:53:09 PM »
I've been doing some research about using cayenne/pepper spray as a general deterrent, and it seems that some folks are saying that it actually doesn't work, and can actually attract bears. Where there does seem to be consensus is wiping stuff down with ammonia or even using it as a spray around your camp, but do NOT spray a bear with ammonia -  it can cause permanent damage to their sense of smell.

I'm headed up to Rock Creek early am on Wednesday, and will post a trip report early next week after I return...
Check out my blog:
www.mooseonfire.com

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2015, 11:38:57 PM »
We were at Big Meadow in #8 last week and Mrs Yogi and little Booboo came by Tuesday just as we were finishing eating dinner. She was just about to climb into the bed of my truck when I blasted the air horn I bought specifically for this purpose. It worked, we never saw her again. The campground host, Robert, told me that bears will even polish off a quart of motor oil, of which I had one in a box in the bed. Who would've guessed?

Moose

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Moose On Fire
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2015, 11:51:10 AM »
I bought a heavy duty marine horn. Product description said it can be heard a mile away. This should do the trick, I think. Also, everyone in our party will be carrying these at all times:

http://www.amazon.com/Storm-AW1-STORM%C2%AE-Safety-Whistle/dp/B001H8FJIW/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441738225&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=the+storm+whisle
Check out my blog:
www.mooseonfire.com