Author Topic: Trip Report 8/8/15 - 8/15/15 Part 2  (Read 2000 times)

Todd Johnson

• Administrator
  • Eastern Sierra Legend
  • The Creek is Waiting
    • View Profile
    • TRJ-Photography
Trip Report 8/8/15 - 8/15/15 Part 2
« on: August 24, 2015, 08:57:49 AM »
Day 4:
We had been planning this trip for about 6 months or so, and part of the plan was to hike back and stay a night or two in LLV.  First goal was to get to Gem with Trinity and a 25-30lb BP on her. Second was to make a day hike over Morgan which neither Scott or I had done in the past.  We got up at 7am and was at the trailhead by 8am. (That perfect timing thing again)  It was a beautiful morning.  Slight breeze though. It took us about 2.5 hrs to get back to Gem, which for an almost 10yr old was not bad at all. The hike out was just a good as it could be, great weather, not hot at all. Trinity impressed me on this hike on how well she could handle carrying that kind of weight for that long of a distance and the higher elevation.  We ended up setting up camp on the back lake up near the trail where you can go to Lake Dade.  It was quite and sheltered area with a number of good flat spots to setup camp.  We ended up heading down to the lake to do some fishing for a bit and watched these two young teen girls in bikini’s jumping into the lake about five separate times.  Wow it was a cold lake as I dipped my feet into for the relief of the hike.  I ended up catching a few nice looking brookies and I think Scott caught one or two as well.  Released them though as we were full from fish the night before.  We ended up fishing for several hours just relaxing and enjoying Gods great creation.  As the afternoon wore on, the smoke from the Rocky fire started showing its ugly head in the canyon.  Trinity also experienced for the first time what you have to do when there is no toilet around.  That was and interesting experience for her.  We must have scouted around for 20 minutes locating a decent area for her.  We headed back to camp to eat and hit the sack as the next morning was the plan to hike up Morgan Pass and then head back to camp as the smoke was getting bad.

Ready for the hike!

On the trail

Close to Heart Lake….

At Heart Lake!

Box Lake

Close to Long Lake!

Long Lake

Break Time!!!

Made it to Gem!!!

Little Brookie and Gem Lake

See the smoke from the Rocky Fire
"The Creek is Waiting" - Hardrock - May he forever live on this board.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Trip Report 8/8/15 - 8/15/15 Part 2
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 11:26:40 PM »
Excellent!!  :clap:

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: Trip Report 8/8/15 - 8/15/15 Part 2
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 07:20:26 PM »
Looks like a great trip. Beautiful pics Thanks