Author Topic: Sierra Quickie - Onion Valley Overnights  (Read 1307 times)

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
  • California Native and Sierra lover for 60 years
    • View Profile
Sierra Quickie - Onion Valley Overnights
« on: August 25, 2015, 08:42:11 AM »
Calendar adjustment has given me 4 days next week.  Looking at Onion Valley and the Kearsarge Pass Trail lakes and/or Robinson Lake.  Need a short walk to some fun fishing and peace and quiet.  I know it's a popular place just wanted a couple of nights in the Sierras.  Anyone have recent experience up there?  Thanks lf

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Sierra Quickie - Onion Valley Overnights
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 12:03:05 PM »
Hopefully you can get a camping spot at Onion Valley Campground as thatís where all the trailheads are located.  There are some walk-in camp sites in the campground for more privacy if desired.  Kearsarge Pass Trailhead is very busy, but once off the main trail and fishing the lakes itís very quiet.  Always nice to hike to the pass for some great views.  For the trail lakes, Heart, Flower and Gilbert are my favorites.  Mostly Brookies, but also some rainbows and Browns to be had in them lakes too.

Robinson Lake has its own trailhead located in the campground (near sites #8 & #9).  A steep hike to a very pretty lake.  Good hike to get away from the crowds.  Brookies in this lake only.

A third trailhead takes you to Golden Trout Lake.  Does have small goldens but a very tough hike to get there.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:09:23 AM by wshawkins »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
  • California Native and Sierra lover for 60 years
    • View Profile
Re: Sierra Quickie - Onion Valley Overnights
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 09:38:12 AM »
Thanks again wshawkins.  Your the goto guy for HS info.  lf