Author Topic: Fred the Baker  (Read 3025 times)

TLM1TLM

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Thomas L. McMahon
Fred the Baker
« on: August 26, 2015, 10:22:48 PM »
When I was a kid we went to Rock Creek every summer, often camping in an area along the Creek downstream from the Lake a ways where I believe you can no longer stay. A small camping area, not many spots, really rough road getting down there, lots of boulders scraping the bottom of the car (1960 Ford Falcon station wagon), which always bottomed out. Even harder getting back up to Rock Creek Rd.

There was an old guy who lived in a (rustic - to be polite) cabin right about there during the summer months. Great guy. Usually brought us warm bread in the mornings. Really cool cabin on the inside - bullet shells lining the ledge on the inside wall. Always had a little fire going. Amazing stuff for us kids.

I went to find Fred and his cabin about 20 years ago only to find out that it had been razed. Nobody even remembered Fred at the local store.

My Mom turns 90 tomorrow and was just asking if *I* remembered.  Asked if I could find out what ever happened to old Fred. It would make her day. Thanks.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Fred the Baker
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 10:43:11 PM »
Welcome to the board Tom,  you did get here fast from the facebook post!  Hopefully Scout or Hawkins will see this post and might be able to help out.  They are a wealth of info...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 02:53:35 PM »
I think Scout would know more about this subject then me.  What I do know is that you’re right that you cannot stay or camp where the cabin once stood according to your picture you provided. Check out the topic under “Pics from Scout” under “Eastern Sierra History” where we discussed a little on the old cabins in Little Lakes Valley. 

Also check on the same thread for a map I provided (I’m a collector of old maps of the Eastern Sierra).  What’s interesting about the map is that it shows the location of the cabins at that time.  It shows a cabin located near where “Fred the Baker” cabin would have stood, including some cabins located all the way up to Heart Lake! 

Good luck on finding what happened to old Fred!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 02:54:05 PM »
I didn't know that much about Fred the Baker until today....I happened to be up at Rock Creek Lake taking a "creel survey" from the fishermen, and stopped in the Resort to show the results to Jim King. After we were done going over the survey, I remembered about this post, so I asked him if he knew anything about Fred. Yep....
Fred lived in a tent next to the old wooden cabin across the road from the Resort, Jim says he didn't live in the cabin....that cabin is still there. Jim and Sue told me that the Colbys and Raders (the old owners of the Resort) used Fred's hamburger buns at the lunch counter in the 50's and 60's. Sue has a couple of old cookie sheets that Fred gave to the Colbys and Raders, and they gave to Sue. They told me that Fred cooked cakes for special occasions, the bread that was mentioned, the h'burger buns, etc.
Jim seemed to think that Fred was in the area during the 50's and 60's, but he doesn't know much more that that....when he left, what happened to him...
I imagine that the Webb Brothers (Ian, Lee) might know more about him. I asked Jim to let me know when Lee was up here, I'll try to get together with him, and will try to get more info on Fred....stay tuned.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 03:11:48 PM »
How did the survey go?
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 10:34:31 AM »
My family used to camp near Fred in the early 70'S. Fred spent the Summers in a metal, make shift cabin That looked pretty pieced together. I remember being a little scared of him at first. I also remember carving little boats with my first pocket knife and Fred watching us race them down the creek. The old wooden cabin across from the resort is a forest service cabin. The Fred stayed in was way more rustic. I'll talk to my dad and see what he remembers about Fred. I think he kept to himself mostly.