Author Topic: Bass fishing!  (Read 6825 times)

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Bass fishing!
« on: March 25, 2012, 04:07:34 PM »
Good to see the board back!  For all you crazy folks who don't fish till opening day in the Sierras,  here are some pics for you-the  bass are biting at Castaic! Got out there with my cousin and caught a few nice ones.   Get out and fish everybody!  Soon!

Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Mcgee Dude

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Bass fishing!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 04:43:42 PM »
That's awesome man!! Keep up the good work. You've been my inspiration to start bass fishing this past month. It's been a lot of fun! Keep the pictures coming!
Still waiting on my RCL Club Patch!

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 09:05:40 PM »
Nice...we are going to Hawaii in a month and are trying to decide on some bass fishing or doing some salt water.  They have Peacock Bass on Oahu, so we may try for some of those. 
The creek is waiting...

trouter

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 10:01:59 PM »
Nice fish Terry!

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 08:46:17 PM »
Jo-bass are awesome to catch,   we'll get you out on Castaic before long to get on some nice ones!
Stacy-I have seen tv shows with folks catching peacock bass,  they look awesome and are tuffer than nails,  you should try for em!
Jon-thanks man,  you will be proud of me,  only using 6lb test,  trouter Havasu style!

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 06:01:43 AM »
Yeh, good looking fish, Terry, and a nice looking boat, too.  Bet that thing screams!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 02:35:15 PM »
Art-it is a very nice boat-wish it was mine!  Most of the lake in So Cal have 35-45 mph speed limits,  but my cousin has had that boat up to around 60mph down on the river in AZ.  60mph in a boat feels like your face is gonna peel off!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 03:03:48 PM »
Nice Topwater Terry!  I usually hit Irvine Lake or Diamond Valley Lake to fix my bass addiction.  Wish I had a bass boat like your cousin.  Can't have too many poles!  I see like six?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:35:10 PM by wshawkins »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »
at least six!  Plus my four in the back of the boat! 

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 12:14:33 PM »
Nice fish Terry

Heuschele

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »
Related to the topic ...

What is you Favorite Sierra bass lake? 

I know who goes to the Sierras to catch bass!!!!

Well I have a favorite.  The size of the bass is not good (biggest I have caught in the last decade is 14", most years ~12" is the biggest) but the solitude and the bite and catch rate are top notch.  It is fairly easy to get to and I average over 50 fish in less than half day (and I miss many bites because they are small mouth and I get rusty).

Seeing that I am not concered about the lake getting over fished ...

It is Tule lake out of Mono Hot Springs (I know it is not even East side) which is about a 2 mile hike.  Hike in your raft or float tube as it is not called Tule for nothing.  I use a half of a rubber 6" worm (so I use 3") rigged Texas style with the smallest worm hook I can find (normally I cannot find smaller than size 4).  Cast to the edge of the reed or on top of the lilly pads and drag off.  Most years if I am within 2' of the reeds I have a very good chance of getting a bite.

So I take my float tube and kick around the lake a couple of times.  Most the time I am the only one there and I have never had anyone else on the lake when I have been there (so when there have been people they have been on shore).  If I go 10 minutes without a bite it is slow.

If you like to catch bass it is great fun.  If you want to improve on setting the hook on bass it is great.

BTW long ago (more than a decage) I did catch some decent size one there (3-4 lbs) but I suspect it is over populated and therefore the bass are stunted (like many of the lakes that have the brook trout).

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 05:35:49 PM »
hmmmm....is that in the Sierra national forest?  I always release bass but it almost sounds like keeping some might benefit the place if there are a lot of small bass in there.

For me I really don't have a favorite bass lake in or near the Sierras as I am always going up there for trout.  I have caught some bass out of the Owens River out near Independence,   and have driven up toward Billy Lake which looks pretty good for a float tube...

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 06:32:28 AM »
Terry, if you always release bass is it because they aren't good eating?  I know on the Colorado River people that fish keep the stripers.  I haven't ever fished for bass, so I haven't a clue.  Looks like fun, though, especially on that boat! 

The float tube sounds like a really good time on Tule Lake, Heuschele.  I'd love to be able to hike down to Walker Lake with one and fish the reeds there, but that's a steep climb both ways with extra weight.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 09:02:14 AM »
Bass are excellent eating, imo. Back in my youth, before many were speaking of c/r, used to try and keep at least 1 or 2 pan sized for dinner every trip. Equal or better than trout imo.

I'm sure Terry will tell you they were released to maintain the fishery.

Nice fish guys!
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 07:23:03 PM »
Art-Paul is right,  Bass are very tasty,  especially the 1-2lb size,  the bigger ones can get a bit fatty from just sitting around,  especially if they are in a muddy lake,  the fillets will get mushy.  I grew up down around Blythe,  I call em the bad ole days as we used to keep a ton of bass.  For the most part now,  a lot of guys just catch and release.  On the occasion though,  when I catch a striper,  get me some bread crumbs and olive oil and a frying pan in a hurry!!

Heuschele

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 09:26:28 PM »
I agree that bass taste fine but
1) they are not stocked and typically caught in high fishing areas (released for the benefit of the fishing sport)
2) they are not the simple clean of trout
3) the amount of bass to eat for its size is poor.  Typically the head is ~1/3 of the fish and the tail 1/4 of the fish.  A 14" fish may yield a 7" filet if you are lucky.
4) they are very easy to release even when using bait

Versus I catch a 12" trout I loose maybe 2" for the head and 2" for the tail leaving most of the fish..  The clean is easy.  They are either stocked or at fairly low fished areas. 

It has been well over a decade since I kept a bass.  I usually keep the trout that I can eat fresh (no freezing it for the off season).  I release all smaller trout and all trout that I will not eat by the next day.  I release for the benefit of the fishing sport and because frozen trout just does not taste as good as fresh trout.

Mono Hot Springs and Tule Lake are near the Fresno lakes.  The road to get there keeps the crowds down at most of that part of the Sierras; the road is 2 wheel drive but long and narrow.  Still I go up there every year at least once and I typically stay much longer (usually about 1.5 weeks) than I stay when I go East side.