Author Topic: Creel Surveys  (Read 3280 times)

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Creel Surveys
« on: August 30, 2015, 02:07:22 PM »
I mentioned "Creel Surveys" under the "Fred the Baker" post, Packer asked about them, instead of burying this in the other category, I thought I'd answer him here.
Sometime mid-summer, the Fish and Game biologist that usually comes to the Fish Commission meetings mentioned that he was thinking about starting up a creel survey program, having somebody walk around and asking fishermen and women about their fishing experience that day, a few simple questions, no law enforcement involved, just collecting information.
I volunteered to do some surveys in Rock Creek Canyon, it sounded like fun. It took a while for him to get the forms figured out, and printed up, I finally got them a couple of weeks ago, and have done two surveys around Rock Creek Lake, last Sunday, and yesterday.
I was right, it is fun, and interesting. I just walk around, find people who are actively fishing, ask them how many are fishing, how long they've been there, what they've caught, what kind of fish...pretty simple.
The interesting part....I can talk to one party who has a stringer full of fish, go 50 feet and talk to someone who is getting skunked. I've always known that a small thing wrong in a person's set up can make a world of difference, so I asked the biologist if it was okay to give people helpful tips so they may catch more fish. I'm still figuring out how to be tactful when I do something like that, I think I'm gaining on it.
This summer I've helped at a couple of kid's fishing events, one at Hot Creek Hatchery (it is just as easy to catch a fish in a hatchery as you might think it is, but the kids loved it), the other one was at Snowcreek, a whole bunch of Desert Springs fish had been dumped into a couple of ponds, some up to 5 pounds...this one was different, a lot of Dads showed up with their kids, most were open to suggestions if I saw something they could do different and better, but....I also had to deal with a lot of guys who really had no clue as to what they were doing, and refused any help...I watched one father with a little girl and boy who flat out wouldn't accept any ideas, his kids both watched other kids catch fish while they didn't due to their father's ego...they were there for hours, and left empty stringered.
That's why I have to be tactful, I don't want to p*** anyone off.
To answer your question, Packer, there's not a whole lot going on up there...unless you know what you're doing. I find people who have full stringers of fish in a few hours, then some who have been skunked for hours. In two weeks I've only seen rainbows, no brooks or browns, nothing over 12", although we all know there are big fish in there. I'll keep doing it weekly until it snows or the season ends. Really looking forwqard to next season, I can start early and hopefully get some good results.

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: Creel Surveys
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:04:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Scout. Sounds like you're having fun! The big question is: What's in your "creel" lately?
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 07:03:51 AM »
Reminds me of the old surveys the DFG used to do on the backcountry lakes.  They used to have them at the trailheads and that asked the fishermen how they did, how many fish, what species and how long among other questions.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 07:49:42 AM »
Oh that's what your doing?!! I thought you said Creole survey, and you know how I like new recipes.

In reality, thanks for what you are doing. Its good information like that given to the powers to be that will hopefully make some good changes to the system that has, without question, been going in the wrong direction.

And you should be good till the end of season. I do not recall that other word you mentioned. Oh yeah, it was snow. What is that?
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 12:36:40 PM »
Ah, data. I love it!

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 07:14:38 PM »
How awesome is that! Hope to see you up at the lake during your survey's.
The creek is waiting...

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 07:53:30 AM »
If you are doing a survey and you come across Topwater and I, it will need to be a different survey. The fish we catch will not fit into a creel! :lol2:
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 10:20:38 AM »
Going to a trout camp this weekend in Michigan. Will be sure to listen to all of my host's instructions and hints for a successful trip!