Author Topic: Trip Report 9/17-9/21  (Read 4098 times)

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Trip Report 9/17-9/21
« on: September 22, 2015, 12:30:58 PM »
 Met some friends up at East Fork on Thursday afternoon. Right when we pulled up my buddy was coming from the lake with a 4lb 9oz rainbow. The stream had been stocked and the trout were everywhere. We decided to rest that afternoon and fish the next day...big mistake. The fish developed lock jaw overnight. One problem was the extremely calm weather at the lake. The fish don't like that. I was able to catch and release many from the stream (using a black rooster tail). Spotted 3 fish in the 4-5 lb range In the stream but they were very wary of me there (even though I always wear camo when fishing the stream). The water was extremely low. Most all the fellow campers were respectful, except our neighbors. They stayed up partying and getting drunk every night until 1-2 am. Then a few of the guys snored extremely loud the rest of the night.  My wife almost blew her lid on one of them.I don't think they even left the campsite all day. Overall, the rest of the people were very nice and we visited with many of them allowing their dogs to visit with ours (Jasper).  :doglick: All in all, a good trip, it would have been great without the partying going on next door though. I could never understand going to the mountains to stay drunk most of the time...defeats the purpose of being there. Although, a glass, or two, well...maybe three, of wine during and after dinner is always good. 
"Don't get no better than this!"

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Re: Trip Report 9/17-9/21
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 05:26:40 PM »
That's why we always camp at Big Meadow. There are never partiers there, and two weeks ago we had the entire campground to ourselves for three days. (except for the one visit from Mrs Yogi and little Booboo)

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 11:05:37 AM »
Big Steve...Is Big Meadow a first come camp area? Sounds like a place we may wish to try, if so. We normally make reservations for East Fork (either 121 or 123) sometime in September, but we are considering a few long weekend trips during the year next year (usually Wed-Sun). These are usually a quick decision within a week of, so making reservations is usually not an option.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 12:40:42 PM »
Big Meadow is first come as is Iris Meadow, which is another great small campground to consider.

One of the great aspects of camping is getting away from the hustle, bustle and, yes, the noise of our Monday through Friday lives. There is almost nothing worse than arriving at the campsite of your dreams, only to discover that you are camped next to noisy neighbors!

I feel your pain!  After the many years of camping Iíve done, I hit a few noisy neighbors.  Usually I just talk to them nicely and ask them to please keep it down after a certain time.  That usually works, but if not Iíll report to our camp host.  But with drunken partiers, probably nothing would work.  Thatís where a couple of sips of nice quality bourbon and ear plugs come in handy.

I did get revenge on four loud partiers 30 miles in the backcountry last year (John Muir Trail).  They will never forget that trip (and me), I guarantee.  Payback can be a bi***. :lol2:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 01:33:13 PM »
OK - I'll take the bait  :clap:

Please do tell!  Please elaborate - inquiring minds want to know!

:bowdown:

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 02:03:56 PM »
30 miles in the back country and had neighbors? Partying neighbors? Crazy! Campgrounds can be party central. Usually a short walk with a backpack and you'll lose the people who are there to to party all night.

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 04:46:21 PM »
We always go to Big Meadow because there are only 11 campsites. We always go the week before Labor Day and arrive on Sunday morning about 9:00. We drive up to Bishop from Riverside and spend the night on Saturday so that we only have about a 45 minute drive to the creek Sunday morning.Most of the previous week's campers have left by then and we have gotten lucky and gotten site #8 right on the creek (like 3 feet from our tent) the past four years. The summer crowds are gone by that week and we have absolute peace and quiet all week. East Fork is beautiful, but there are too many campsites for my taste.

fshrsmn

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 07:47:04 AM »
Sounds great Big Steve and wshawkins. We will check this place out on the next Trip. Hopefully the sites a large enough for a pop-up at 24 ft when extended. That's what we go there far is peace and quiet. There is nothing like laying in bed at night listening to the water. I would like to try another trip this year but have to see as we have one planned to Lake Casitas for 3 days and a 4 day trip to Apache Junction, AZ. May be able to squeeze in an overnight turn-around though, where we stay in Mammoth and drive back the next day, fishing RCL on the way home.

Big Steve

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 09:25:12 AM »
Big Meadow has probably 4 or 5 sites that would accommodate a 24 footer. #9 at the end of the road by the turnaround would be a great site for you, there was a 30 footer in there last year.

SN

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 12:54:56 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:
thank you fshrsmn