Author Topic: Owens Gorge Trip 4/3 to 4/8  (Read 3101 times)

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Owens Gorge Trip 4/3 to 4/8
« on: March 14, 2016, 03:47:54 PM »
Planning to camp out at PVR beginning April 3.  I have never hiked down into the Gorge, but have done some research, gotten some tips and examined Google maps for access points.  It looks like two ways in are on (gated) DWP roads, another by hiking down a promontory at a sharp horseshoe bend in the river.   I've been told the northern access road has some trails down, but it looks like it also drops way down close to the river for a long ways till you come to an upper powerstation.  The lower access road looks like a long slog to the river, from what someone told me, again ending at a middle power station.  Then, the lower power station at the start of PVR I've driven to before, just exploring at the time.  I know you can walk down the road into PVR from there.

Can anyone provide some advice, first hand experiences?  You can PM me if you want, I'd appreciate any help.  I'm planning on going in on Monday (4/4) with a member of flyfishingaddicts.com, but have a few more days that I would be hiking solo.  I'll be hitting the LO for sure, flyfishing, and I practice C&R.  I climbed up Chalk Bluffs last year to see some petroglyphs, so I assume it's about the same kind of ascent/descent.

Thanks for any tips.

John

P.S. If anyone has a spot I can shoot my new Ruger Takedown 10/22, I would appreciate that advice as well.  I know one of the members shoots near Bishop, IIRC.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 04:06:22 PM by John Harper »

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Owens Gorge Trip 4/3 to 4/8
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 04:25:31 PM »
Can not help you on the fishing part.

Shooting, there is a range located below Crowley people use. Also above Crowley on the BLM land it is allowed. Just pay attention as it is a lot of flat area around the upper Owens so choose where you shoot wisely.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 04:42:48 PM »
The range outside Bishop?  I thought that was private, but I'll check it out.   Maybe I'll drive up Fish Slough Road, I'm pretty sure that's BLM land.

John

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 05:55:09 PM »
What’s nice about fishing the Gorge is the flows are relatively constant and most of the fish you catch are wild Browns.  Access can be difficult as you have to walk down steep paths to the river.  You can access the Gorge from Power Plant Road or Gorge Road; you’ll see many paths taking off from these roads.

Easiest access is just above Pleasant Valley Reservoir at the power plant.  Nice pools to fish in this area.  Another favorite area for me is below Crowley Lake Dam.  High Steep walls in this area but fishing the tailwater here can be just outstanding!

Use any of your favorite Dry-fly’s and you should do fine.  Good Luck!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 10:21:56 PM »
John, haven't shot there myself but I believe there is shooting area between PVR and Bishop. I'm not talking about the range right next to 395. When you are heading north through Bishop and get to the north end of town instead of following 395 around to the left you take interstate 6 to the right going out towards the Laws Railroad museum. Not too far down the 6 you make a left onto a dirt road. I'm not sure just where so stop at the fly shop and they can point you right I'm sure.

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 07:49:41 AM »
Easiest access is just above Pleasant Valley Reservoir at the power plant.  Nice pools to fish in this area.  Another favorite area for me is below Crowley Lake Dam.  High Steep walls in this area but fishing the tailwater here can be just outstanding!

Warren,

So, hike up from the lowest power plant?  Instead of down the road toward PVR dam?

Also, I drove down below Crowley dam on a small dirt road a few years back, but the water flow was almost nonexistent, is that the area?  Maybe they've allowed more water?

GaryC, that sounds like the Fish Slough Road area, so I'll stop and see what the fly shop has to say.  I'm interested in fishing at Fish Slough, if legal, it's a huge spring with tailwater, but not sure if you can fish there, I know the spring was posted.

Thanks to all,

John

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 11:12:46 AM »
Yeah, there is public parking just upstream of the Rouch Creek Power Plant and from there you can fish in either direction.  Upstream are mostly wild browns and downstream is more likely planted rainbows from PVR.

For fishing below Crowley Lake, head south from the dam about 1.4 miles and turn left onto Forest Rd. (4S116).  This dirt road is key to access to dozens of trails down to the Gorge to some nice fishing.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 11:55:28 AM »
Yes, I've been to the parking lot at the lower pp, and thanks for the tip on 4S116.  I think I was on a small access road that was right along the water, which was not much at the time.  Looking forward to filling in some geographical knowledge on this trip.

John