Author Topic: Autumn Brown Trout Fishing  (Read 54801 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Autumn Brown Trout Fishing
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2015, 07:28:28 AM »
The Trees around Davis and #2 Hilton Creek Lakes are slowly dying off.  Plenty of fuel for a fire if that’s comes to pass. 

Trees Dying

Trees Dying

Day 7:  Hilton Creek Lakes will continue.......................................
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2015, 11:34:38 AM »
Bark Beetle?

Gypsy Wind

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2015, 12:16:08 PM »
Looks like a good summer hike with all the tree cover. Do you have a preference from which trailhead you start?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2015, 01:27:54 PM »
Bark Beetle?

Yeah, the Pine Bark Beetles are destroying the trees up there.  Every season it’s getting a little worse than the year before.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2015, 01:28:47 PM »
Looks like a good summer hike with all the tree cover. Do you have a preference from which trailhead you start?

For a day hike like the one I took for this report, I prefer starting at the trailhead near the Rock Creek Lodge.  Its steep shortcut and cuts about a mile off my hike.  If I’m backpacking I prefer the Trailhead above Rock Creek Lake as it’s a nice easy level hike.  Least favorite is the trailhead near the Crawley lake community.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2015, 07:15:06 AM »
Caught all three species in both Davis and #2 Hilton Creek Lakes.  The Browns were plentiful in #2 Hilton Creek Lake but on the small side but always caught the largest Browns in Davis Lake over the years.

#2 Hilton Creek Lake

#2 Hilton Creek Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2015, 07:19:26 AM »
#2 Hilton Creek Lake Brookie

#2 Hilton Creek Lake Rainbow

#2 Hilton Creek Lake Brown

#2 Hilton Creek Lake Brown

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2015, 07:23:36 AM »
Davis Lake

Davis Lake Brookie

Davis Lake Rainbow

Davis Lake Brown

Davis Lake Brown

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2015, 07:26:26 AM »
On the way back to the Trailhead, I checked out some of the nice fall colors along the trail.  You never know where you find the Autumn Colors at in the Eastern Sierra!

Back to Trailhead

Fall Color

Fall Color

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2015, 07:29:09 AM »
Fall Color

Fall Color

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2015, 07:30:13 AM »
Fall Color

Fall Color

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2015, 07:32:08 AM »
Fall Color

Next, on Day 8, which is my last day for this trip report, I visit two lakes with Brown Trout.  First I head over to Little Walker Lake for some Autumn Brown Trout fishing...................................................................................

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2015, 06:50:05 AM »
Autumn Brown Trout Fishing

Day 8:  Little Walker Lake and CSI Lake

On my last day, I went to both Little Walker Lake and CSI Lake.  The bonus here was colorful fall colors to look at around both these lakes as I fished.  Little Walker gave up a Brown Trout pretty quickly, so I had plenty of time to go to CSI Lake and try my luck, which was more difficult fishing as usual but if you know me I’m very persistent. 

First up is Little Walker Lake.  Walker Lake has Brookies, Rainbow and Browns in its waters.  Fishing can be good at times but as usual catching the Browns are the most difficult, but not impossible as you’ll see.

Little Walker Lake

Little Walker Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2015, 06:53:45 AM »
Little Walker Lake Brown

Little Walker Lake Brown

Little Walker Lake Brown

Day 8:  Little Walker Lake and CSI Lake to continue.............................................
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 06:55:36 AM by wshawkins »

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2015, 04:46:41 AM »
wshawkins, thanks for taking me to the familiar lake.  I even know the tree in that last picture.  Fall colors still are great to look at, too, along with the lakes and fish.  Great thread and report.  Looking forward to CSI and perhaps a monster brown!!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2015, 07:10:32 AM »
wshawkins, thanks for taking me to the familiar lake.  I even know the tree in that last picture.  Fall colors still are great to look at, too, along with the lakes and fish.  Great thread and report.  Looking forward to CSI and perhaps a monster brown!!

Wow, you must be real familiar with this lake if you know the tree in the picture!  :D   That is my favorite spot to catch the Browns in Little Walker Lake Saudust.  Fall colors coming up next.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2015, 07:18:59 AM »
Autumn is the best time to catch the beautiful fall colors at Little Walker Lake.

Fall Colors

Fall Colors

Fall Colors

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2015, 07:21:39 AM »
Little Walker Lake had a fire this season that started on August 14 and was 100% contained on August 31, 2015 burning 3676 acres.  It burned right down to the shore on the north side of Little Walker Lake and continued to Lee Vining Canyon closing Hwy 120 up to Tioga Pass for nearly a week.

Little Walker Lake Fire Damage

Little Walker Lake Fire Damage

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2015, 07:25:25 AM »
Just a side note to the Kamloop Rainbows in Little Walker Lake:  Little Walker Lake is now being used as Broodstocks for Kamloops Rainbows.  CDFW is now stocking the lake with these Broodstocks.   You can identify these Broodstocks as their “adipose fin” is clipped off.  Any Rainbow with a clipped “adipose fin” should be released back to the lake.

What is an “adipose fin” you ask?  The “adipose fin” is the fleshy fin behind the larger dorsal fin and in front of the caudal (tail) fin.  Just in case you’re not a “fish geek” like me, here are some photos to help identify the mysterious fin.

Kamloops Rainbow with an Adipose Fin

Kamloops Rainbow Broodstock with a clipped Adipose Fin

Next I finish my Autumn Brown Trout Fishing trip at CSI Lake……………………………………………………………………

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 24, 2015, 06:58:49 AM »

Day 8:  CSI Lake

If you never heard of CSI Lake, search for Chris W. posts and you’ll see what’s possible at this Lake.  I think I might have made him proud on this fine day, as my luck here runs poor most times here.

I never have seen so many people on the trail and at CSI Lake before!  Leaf peepers were out in force today as the fall colors were in prime time for the CSI Lake and trail!  Again, I was the only fisherman on the lake today, but I could not shake off the hordes of the crowds of foreign tourist’s near me.  Something about a beautiful lake in fall colors with a fisherman makes for good pictures I guess?  Actually it was kind of funny the way to finish my trip with foreign tourists shooting dozens of photos, especially when I had a fish on the line. :D

Fall Colors

Fall Colors

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 24, 2015, 07:00:20 AM »
Fall Colors

Fall Colors

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 24, 2015, 07:01:36 AM »
Fall Colors

Fall Colors

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 24, 2015, 07:03:18 AM »
Fall Colors

Fall Colors

Day 8:  CSI Lake of Autumn Brown Trout Fishing will continue…………………………………………………

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2015, 07:39:26 AM »

Day 8:  CSI Lake

CSI Lake was looking good this fine autumn day!  Could not ask for better weather or a better fishing trip!  It was just a beautiful day!

CSI Outlet

CSI Outlet

CSI Lake

CSI Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2015, 07:42:53 AM »

CSI Lake Brown

CSI Lake Brown

Nice way to end my trip with a couple of beautiful 20” + Brown Trout.  Nice colors on these Browns.  The fishing Gods was truly smiling upon me this week.  Also caught a nice fat 18” Brookie at CSI Lake.  Pretty rare to see two large sized trout species in the same lake!  As usual, I released all trout for this week’s adventure, didn’t even have a bleeder this time which was great.  This trip was a lot of fun and hope I can come up with something exciting and different for next season! 

Thanks all for reading!

Mono Lake Overlook