Author Topic: Autumn Brown Trout Fishing  (Read 57588 times)

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Autumn Brown Trout Fishing
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 07:17:04 AM »
Autumn Brown Trout Fishing

Day 4:  Upper McCabe Lake, Yosemite

I launch my trip to Upper McCabe Lake from the Saddlebag Lake Resort. Unfortunate, the water taxi shuttle service was closed down for the season so that added another 3 miles to my total for the day.  There is a trailhead by the campground with plenty of parking. This is a very popular place due to the 20 Lakes Basin. 

Saddlebag Lake Resort

To be truthful, it is a difficult hike to Upper McCabe Lake, especially getting over Shepherd Crest.   Once you get settled from the trailhead, cross the dam and hike past Saddlebag Lake to the inlet.  Take the trail clockwise toward Cascade Lake.  Pass between Cascade and Tower Lakes then head up the use trail north towards Secret Lake.  This lake is sometimes unnamed on maps.  Follow the chute to get over McCabe Pass. The views are spectacular from Shepherd Crest!  From the Crest, descend the staying on the right hand side where you’ll find a narrow chute that descends to Upper McCabe Lake. 

Trail through 20 Lakes Basin

Steelhead Lake

Cascade Lake & North Peak

Use Trail up to Upper McCabe Lake

Secret Lake

Upper McCabe Lake continues…………………………………………………………………..
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 07:20:08 AM »
The Views from Shepherds Crest are spectacular!  Well worth the hike just to see the views.  For those who continue to Yosemite and Upper McCabe Lake, fishing can be very fruitful too.

Shepherd Crest – Looking South

Shepherd Crest – Looking North

Views from Shepherd Crest – 20 Lakes Basin

Views from Shepherd Crest – Upper McCabe Lake

Upper McCabe Lake continues……………………………………………..

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:28:34 AM by wshawkins »
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 07:25:31 AM »
“The Fishing”

Fishing was spectacular!  Sight-casting to hundreds of rises and bubbles, I had a strike or fish on most casts.  I caught mostly beautiful wild husky Rainbows in the 12-15” range, but several nice sized Browns came up to make a run at my fly.  For the two hours I spent here, the trout in this lake tore at my fly until it was only mostly bare metal at the end.  Trust me as I say this was truly epic fishing at its best, especially in the high country of Yosemite in the rugged-terrained backcountry, possibly the most beautiful place in the world.

Upper McCabe Lake

Upper McCabe Lake

Upper McCabe Lake

Rainbows are much more plentiful than Browns in Upper McCabe Lake.  Figure about 10 to 15 Rainbows to 1 brown caught.  Good thing fishing was awesome today as I was able to bring in 2 Browns.

Rainbow Trout from Upper McCabe Lake

Brown Trout from Upper McCabe Lake

Brown Trout from Upper McCabe Lake

Next, I take a much needed break from “Autumn Brown Trout Fishing” and check out the great Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra………………………………………………………

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 10:46:33 PM »
Absolutely outstanding images 'hawk.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 07:12:54 AM »
Thanks playingmenace.  Upper McCabe Lake hike does have the views!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2015, 07:20:22 AM »
Autumn Brown Trout Fishing

Day 5:  Fall Colors

After yesterday’s hard hike to Upper McCabe Lake, I needed an easy day to rest my weary bones.  Fall colors were in peak form at many Eastern Sierra locations, so I packed a lunch and a cooler with drinks and off I went.  I started my fall color show at Rock Creek Lake then moved up north and the colors were just great everywhere I visited.  Even if you’re not into fishing, come for the fall colors as they are just spectacular!

Day 5:  Fall Colors at Rock Creek

I started at Rock Creek Lake as fall colors above the lake near Mosquito Flats were past peak.  But fall colors from Rock Creek Lake down to about East Fork Campground area were in prime form during my visit.  The fall colors around Rock Creek Lake were the best I’ve seen in years.

Rock Creek Lake

Rock Creek Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2015, 07:22:26 AM »
Rock Creek Lake

Rock Creek Lake

« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 07:24:02 AM by wshawkins »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2015, 07:26:51 AM »
Rock Creek Lake

Rock Creek Lake

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2015, 07:28:52 AM »
Had to stop at the “Pie in the Sky” café, but as luck would have it, they were out of pie!  That’s been an ongoing theme for me here.  I never tasted their pies to date and I’ve been up here countless times.  Maybe next year!

Pie in the Sky Sign

Pie in the Sky Café

Sierraslam

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2015, 01:24:52 PM »
Just awesome!! I have the McCabe Lakes on my radar for next year. Great photos of RCL! Post card material.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2015, 07:11:20 AM »
Thanks Sierraslam.  Just try to schedule your Upper McCabe Lake trip during the season when the water taxi is running.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2015, 07:20:50 AM »
More Fall Colors from Rock Creek………………………………..

Fly-fishing Pond below Rock Creek Lak
e

Near East Fork

Near East Fork

Near East Fork

New road looking nice and is quite a bit wider than the old road.  Just needs the bike lane painted it’s finished. 

New Road with Fall Colors

Rock Work

Rock Work

Next, Fall Colors at McGee Creek and McGee Creek Canyon………………………………………

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2015, 09:38:42 PM »
Missed the Spillway Lake post earlier. We were there in mid June and had a great time. Highlight was about a 12" brown that when I released it somehow got snagged by the fly and took off pulling my spinning rod into the lake. I stood there watching the rod slowly moving into deeper water. I finally woke up and jumped in after it.. Would have made a good video.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2015, 06:58:34 AM »
Yes, I remembered that trip report.  You and MJ did well as I recall.  I’m sure that you both had a good laugh about the brown trout that almost stole your pole into the lake! :lol2:

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2015, 07:06:32 AM »
Day 5:  Fall Colors at McGee Creek

McGee Creek Canyon was at full bloom on my visit all the way from near Lake Crawley up to the beaver pond, which was unusual.  Usually it’s good at the higher elevations or the lower elevations, but not both at the same time.  Made for a beautiful day!   

Lower McGee Creek

McGee Creek Pack Station

McGee Creek Pack Station

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2015, 09:48:14 AM »
WSH - Once again, Thank you from many of us who greatly enjoy your posts, both the photos and narrative, and the amount of time and hard work it takes to produce them on this board for our enjoyment.

As always, the composition of this report, the photos and the narrative are, in a word, SPECTACULAR!

This year's trip sure appears to have been fantastic in all aspects that you have shared with us.  I am equally happy for you and politely envious. 

So here are just a few of my normal, inquisitive-natured and vicarious-related questions please: :bowdown:

Have you ever camped overnight at either of the McCabe Lakes during any time of the 'year'? 
For camping, do you recommend the Upper or Lower based on the effort required to get to not only Upper but down to Lower and back up, and the risk/reward of the 'labor' to pack-in for both camping and fishing vs simply the 'longer/shorter' in and out same Day Hike?
If so, any suggestions/additional experiences you are able to share based on current regulations, no-fire zone, Bear activity, etc?
Is Lower McCabe more forested and 'comfortable' and/or secluded than Upper (for camping purposes)?
"      "          "     safer to 'seek shelter' during a major storm?
Does the day hike entry into the park over Shepard's Crest 'technically' require a YNP entry/backcountry permit of any sort?

Thanks again on behalf of many of us!

Best, P A C
 :hiking2: :lightning: :tent: :cold: :fishing3:

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2015, 11:04:26 AM »
WSH

Upper McCabe Lake looks Spectacular. PAC asked most of the questions i have but one question is does that trail go all the way to the lake or is there boulder hopping. Is the Creat dangerous if you're careful? I'm too old for that now but I might send MJ up there next season. Ha!
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2015, 06:55:56 AM »
WSH - Once again, Thank you from many of us who greatly enjoy your posts, both the photos and narrative, and the amount of time and hard work it takes to produce them on this board for our enjoyment.

As always, the composition of this report, the photos and the narrative are, in a word, SPECTACULAR!

This year's trip sure appears to have been fantastic in all aspects that you have shared with us.  I am equally happy for you and politely envious. 

So here are just a few of my normal, inquisitive-natured and vicarious-related questions please: :bowdown:

Have you ever camped overnight at either of the McCabe Lakes during any time of the 'year'? 
For camping, do you recommend the Upper or Lower based on the effort required to get to not only Upper but down to Lower and back up, and the risk/reward of the 'labor' to pack-in for both camping and fishing vs simply the 'longer/shorter' in and out same Day Hike?
If so, any suggestions/additional experiences you are able to share based on current regulations, no-fire zone, Bear activity, etc?
Is Lower McCabe more forested and 'comfortable' and/or secluded than Upper (for camping purposes)?
"      "          "     safer to 'seek shelter' during a major storm?
Does the day hike entry into the park over Shepard's Crest 'technically' require a YNP entry/backcountry permit of any sort?

Thanks again on behalf of many of us!

Best, P A C
 :hiking2: :lightning: :tent: :cold: :fishing3:

Thanks PAC.  Appreciate the comments.  On your questions for McCabe lakes:

I camped overnight at both Lower and Upper McCabe Lakes over the years.  Both lakes are gems.  For camping, I prefer Lower McCabe as it’s surrounded by a forest that keeps the winds at bay.   Upper McCabe Lake has some trees but can get very windy.  But the advantage for Upper McCabe is that it has the best fishing with larger trout.  Just stake your tent really good as I almost lost mine one year due to the high winds.  The two lakes are about 1.5 miles apart and about 700 foot elevation difference.

There is two more McCabe Lakes, Middle and Tiny McCabe.  But both are fishless (Gillnetted some years ago).

You’ll need a Yosemite Wilderness Pass for overnight stays, none for day hikes.  No fires allowed except for stoves.  No bear activity observed around the McCabe Lakes, except down where McCabe Creek runs into Return Creek in Virginia Canyon.

As for fishing, flies and lures will do the trick.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2015, 06:58:27 AM »
WSH

Upper McCabe Lake looks Spectacular. PAC asked most of the questions i have but one question is does that trail go all the way to the lake or is there boulder hopping. Is the Creat dangerous if you're careful? I'm too old for that now but I might send MJ up there next season. Ha!

bj, the trail ends at Secret Lake.  The Crest can be dangerous if you take the wrong route.  Most people look on Google Earth or a Topo map and take the Cascade Lake route over to Upper McCabe Lake.  That would be a big mistake as it’s a cliff face on the Yosemite side.  Best to take the route I described. 

I do have more detailed photos that show the best route through the chutes that get you over the Crest if you like to view them.  Keep in mind that even taking the best route still makes this a very difficult hike.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2015, 07:09:33 AM »
Day 5:  Fall Colors at McGee Creek Continues……………………………………

McGee Creek Campground

McGee Creek Campground

McGee Creek Campground

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2015, 07:10:42 AM »
McGee Creek

McGee Creek

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2015, 07:13:03 AM »
McGee Creek

McGee Creek

McGee Creek

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2015, 03:46:56 PM »
Roger that on the difficult  hike, Great color shots.
Hardrock

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2015, 07:11:17 AM »
Fall colors were spectacular way up the McGee Creek Canyon.  So I took the McGee Creek Trail to see how far up the fall colors went.  Ended hiking all the way up to the Beaver Pond.  Spectacular easy walk, best I ever seen in McGee Creek Canyon!

McGee Creek Trailhead

McGee Creek Canyon

McGee Creek Canyon

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2015, 07:12:37 AM »
McGee Creek Canyon

McGee Creek Canyon