Author Topic: Beginner Equipment  (Read 1163 times)

durafett

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Beginner Equipment
« on: October 31, 2015, 07:42:13 AM »
I am looking to invest in a spinning reel/rod set up to use in the Eastern Sierra area. This will be my first time buying equipment, I have fished in the past but it was always borrowed equipment. I have read a lot of posts here and would like some advice on some beginner rods, reels, set ups ( bubble/fly), fishing line, lures. I plan on doing mostly shore casting and some hiking to lakes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner Equipment
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 01:22:56 PM »

You didnít mention what youíre budget is, but recommend at least spending $100.  You can get quality combos that can hold their own on the water for that price.  You can go to Walmart or K-Mart and get combos for $25 but youíll get what you pay for.  The $100 will be well worth it when you easily bring in that huge 8 lb. trophy trout.

Cabela's XML Spinning Rod matched with Cabela's Tournament ZX Spinning Reel makes for an excellent combo.  I bought this for my wife about 5 years ago and have to say Iím jealous of her combo.  It has ultra-smooth retrieves with extra-long casts that rival anything I own.  The front drag is easy to fine tune and rock solid on hooksets.  The XML Spinning Rod is made with lightweight graphite with quality guides with great sensitivity to feel the smallest of nibbles on your rod.  The Spinning rod is now on sale now for half price at Cabela.  Wait for the sale for the reel.

I set-up with the above with mostly a bubble/fly setup, sometimes with a lure.  If using a lure, I hook the lure directly to my 4 lb. line using a small split ring on the lure, then a slide a barrel swivel onto the split ring and tie it all up with a Palomar Knot.  For the bubble/fly set-up I use the Improved Clinch Knot.  Donít forget to wet the knots!

For fishing line, I like P-Line and Berkley, both are great lines.  For bubble/fly set-up, 4 lb. Berkley Trilene XL fishing line with 2 lb. Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon leader canít be beat.  For lure fishing, 4 lb. P-Line Floroclear fishing line has been a solid performer for me for years.     :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."