Author Topic: St Croix Rod suggestion  (Read 1647 times)

durafett

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
St Croix Rod suggestion
« on: November 02, 2015, 04:45:23 PM »
I am a beginner fisherman and looking for some advice on what kind of St Croix rod is best for shore fishing as far as length and model any advice would be helpful thanks.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: St Croix Rod suggestion
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 06:54:51 AM »
I own two of the ST.CROIX rods.  One is from their trout series (TSS60ULF2), which is a spinning 2 piece 6 foot UL with fast action that rated for 2-6 line wt., which is perfect for my 4 lb. line I put on it.  This graphite rod has great balance and sensitivity, where you can feel the smallest of nibbles.  This is my go to rod for backcountry fishing.

The other ST.CROIX rod is the Legend Elite spinning rod (ES76MLXF) which is a one piece 76 median Power X-fast action I use for fishing for the big browns and fishing drive-to lakes.  Its rated 4-10 lbs. so perfect for the 4-8 lbs. test line I use when going for the big fish.  This rod can cast a mile too. 

Not sure a ST.CROIX rod is considered a beginners spinning rod, but I bought a trout series rod for under a $100 a few years back. 
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: St Croix Rod suggestion
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 07:04:21 PM »
Another viewpoint:

I'm more inclined to go middle the road on the rod, and upper end on the reel. It seems there are a lot of well made graphite rods out there that have great action and are affordable. Save the money on the rod and upgrade your reel choice.

I like traveling very similar 'hawk. I have a 5'6" ultra light set up with 4 lb. test, and a 6'6" light/medium action pole with 6 lb. test for lakes.

Tight lines.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors