Author Topic: Eagles at Rock Creek or Convict?  (Read 2654 times)

wayneh924

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Eagles at Rock Creek or Convict?
« on: November 13, 2015, 03:16:19 PM »
Has anybody seen any eagles in the area lately?  Last year early October we saw a couple at Rock Creek Lake, I'm wondering if anybody has seen them this month.  Any tips?  I'm taking my camera up this weekend.
Thanks,
Wayne

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Eagles at Rock Creek or Convict?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 06:41:54 AM »
When I was up there about a month ago, I did see an Osprey soaring over Rock Creek Lake.  I didnít observe any eagles that day, but Iíve seen them on past occasions.  Sorry I donít have anything more current.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 10:09:25 AM »
If you are travelling through Bishop and have the time and inclination, there are a pair of Bald Eagles that are known to reside and nest at Lake Sabrina at the end of West (Bound) Line Street/ Hiway 168.  Don't know if the road is open past Aspendell at this point with the recent snowfall.  Beautiful area to visit, very easy to get to if the road is open and great chance to spot the majestic Eagles.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 05:44:26 PM »
I have seen them numerous time at the Hilton Lakes. I think they hang out more in the backcountry lakes to avoid the crowds.

I think it all depends on where the might be "fishing" at the time. I have watched them pluck trout from Hilton Lake #2. Keep the camera ready, if no eagles you might get some close ups of Bears.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 06:55:06 AM »
We saw a Bald Eagle at Lake Helen in the 20 Lakes Basin last month, but it is likely quite a tough venture to get there now.  We've seen them in the June lake Loop around Grant Lake several times in recent years, at the CSI lake and other more hike-to-lakes around there, too.
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 08:55:13 AM »
I've seen them at Little Walker Lake, such beautiful creatures.

John

wayneh924

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 01:06:38 PM »
Thanks for the info everybody.  We went up to RCL Saturday late morning, no Eagles but we did see the coyote that has been in the area looking for handouts from the fishermen.  Sunday AM went up to Convict just as the storm was rolling in, nothing but whitecaps there!  Then we hiked the Hot Creek area and saw, at a distance, an Osprey with a fish being harassed by a raven.  We did see a large number of Mountain Bluebirds near Hot Creek.  Next Spring we'll be back up and ready!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:16:03 PM by wayneh924 »

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 06:56:51 AM »
We did see Eagles at Eastfork campground over the summer and a Golden Eagle at Convict in October
The Creek is Waiting...