Author Topic: New to this, would appreciate some assitance.  (Read 2625 times)

durafett

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
New to this, would appreciate some assitance.
« on: November 16, 2015, 10:36:14 AM »
I plan on fishing for trout in the Eastern sierra, I have a good rod and pole set up for spinner fishing. Seem like there are many options as far as sizes of hooks, swivels, bubbles, leader, etc. I would appreciate some help with hook size for trout and ( treble, barb, barbless, leader size/pound, swivel size, bubble size/color and what size power worms people generally use. with some help I hope my first trout fishing experience is memorable and successful. Thank you.

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
Re: New to this, would appreciate some assitance.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 06:45:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum! I grew up fishing the Rock Creek area as a young kid in the late fifty's and early sixty's then took a forty year plus break as surfing, drag racing, work, and growing a family here by the beach in South Orange County became my priority. In 2005 my son wanted to go fishing, so off to Mammoth we went on his birthday weekend staying at a lodge and fishing the Mammoth Lakes area. We finished our stay with a day trip to Rock Creek and fished the streams in the canyon area and the pond that I knew as a kid. We were hooked. The next year we were back in late June and again in August and every year except one since. I purchased a book at the local Sports Chalet called Trout Fishing in California by Ron Kovach for $12.00 and a plastic knot tying guide that I keep in my gear bag. This has helped us in learning the art of fishing the Eastern Sierras immensely. Rock Creek Lake Resort.com also has a fishing link that has great information about Bubble Fly fishing in the area with tips on how to properly set up your bubble fly and much more. there are also many other books out there. This forum has also been great with info from all the great people who post here. I have learned threw the past ten years that it's not just about fishing but being in the special place called the Eastern Sierras and particularly Rock Creek Canyon that brings me back with my son and now our extended family, and now feeling complete that I can enjoy the best of two different areas the ocean and the mountains. Use the winter months to gather information and prepare for the coming summer trip as we all do. Remember its not all about fishing it's about where your at, the relaxation of the environment your in and you too will be hooked.
Again welcome to our forum durafett!

StephenH

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 02:23:43 AM »
so how was your experience???? i am also new at this forum and i want to know about your experience.

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 08:17:57 AM »
For tossing lures, 1/8 oz to 1/4 oz, gold Kastmasters, Fiord Jr., Thomas Buoyant, Rapalas

Flies: Olive Woolly Buggers, Black Woolly Buggers, Ants, Adams, hoppers, etc.   You can rig with a clear Cast-a-bubble and leader, retrieve slowly.
You can also learn to flyfish and enjoy the creeks and rivers as well.  Size 10 to 18 depending on the fly.

Overall experience:  Fishing for wild (or stocked) trout in God's Country, what else can be said.  Tale your pick of Goldens, Rainbows, Browns, Cutthroats, or Brookies.  It's all there waiting for you.

John
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:22:19 AM by John Harper »

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 01:34:13 PM »
Most of your questions depend upon what type of fishing you want to do....streams or  lakes are the biggest factor. I'll try to do a short explanation on both.
I generally prefer stream fishing, so I'll start there. Four pound test line on your reel is the best...any heavier, you end up with bigger knots that get in your way. The type of hook depends on what bait you use. Single egg hooks (size 14 or 16) for salmon eggs, treble hooks (same size) are for Power Bait and cheese. Bait holder hooks are for worms, either real or plastic, maybe a size 12...I don't fish with worms....the main thing to remember is to cover the hook completely with your bait, try not to have any hook showing.
I don't use swivels while bait fishing in the creek, I don't think they're necessary, and you just have that many more knots in the system that can fail. I also don't use bobbers, for the same reason as the swivels...you'll be able to feel the fish bite, you don't need to stare at a red and white thing floating out there.
Simple set up for the creek....tie an appropriate hook to the end of your line, put enough weight (split shot or Rubber Core work well) about a foot and a half above the hook...distance from weight to hook depends upon how fast the water is moving where you're fishing, so does the amount of weight....vary both accordingly. You want the weight to sit on the bottom, with the bait trailing a ways behind it...you don't want the weight too close to the hook or the bait won't move freely.
Fish tend to stay in calmer water, so fish accordingly. If you can see the fish, you've got a good idea as to where to cast. Cast into a pool, let the weight sink to the bottom, and wait...if nothing happens, move your bait a little...just raise your rod tip enough to lift the weight, everything will move downstream until you drop the weight again.
Lake fishing set up is pretty much the same, only a couple of differences. From shore, fishing with bait, you'll want to get some Sliding Sinkers, about 1/4 oz. Slide a sinker onto your line, then tie on a swivel, #16. Then tie another four feet of line to the swivel, tie your hook onto that, and cast into the lake (put some bait on the hook first). When a fish bites, the line slides through the sinker, the tug goes right to your reel, you'll feel it, and, hopefully, strike back at him. I prefer fishing off the bottom as opposed to hanging the bait under a bubble on the surface.
Lures in the lake, just tie on a swivel and hook the lure to that, throw it out and reel it in. Bubble and fly in the lake (I find this doesn't work real well in a creek, as the current will just swing everything to your side of the creek in a couple of seconds)...pretty much the same as the sliding sinker set up, but put a bubble in place of the sinker, tie a fly on the end of the line...water filled bubbles work well, fill half way with H2O, cast it out, reel it back. Vary the speed of your retrieve until the fish start hitting it, then stay with that.
I hope this helps you more than baffles you, and remember...
If it was easy, they'd call it "catching"...