Author Topic: Pond below rock creek?  (Read 4678 times)

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Pond below rock creek?
« on: May 24, 2012, 02:17:19 PM »
How deep is the pond below Rock Creek?  Is it similar to Weird Pond?  I just have never fished it before.

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Pond below rock creek?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »
If you're talking about the pond below RCL, but above Upper Pine Grove, it's very shallow, loaded with small brookies that are fun to catch, and an occasional stocker 'bow wonders back there. I was with topwater once when he pulled about a 12" rainbow out of the area at the inlet. It's a beautiful area and an easy hike from Upper Pine Grove(basically a flat walk). There is a trail on the west bank that has board walks over the most of the bog areas.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

incrediblehuck

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »
If you're talking about the pond below RCL, but above Upper Pine Grove, it's very shallow, loaded with small brookies that are fun to catch, and an occasional stocker 'bow wonders back there. I was with topwater once when he pulled about a 12" rainbow out of the area at the inlet. It's a beautiful area and an easy hike from Upper Pine Grove(basically a flat walk). There is a trail on the west bank that has board walks over the most of the bog areas.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Yep that helps a lot.  We're camping at East Fork so I may just check it out.  Thanks

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 07:09:54 PM »
Yep,  beautiful place to fish.  Remember,  there are two ponds below the lake and above Pine Grove.  There is one about 100 yards below the lake,  basically across the street from the pie shop.  That is very shallow and not very deep,  got some brooks in there.  Then downstream,  below the falls,  is Lower Corral pond.  That pond is much bigger,  prolly a quarter mile long.   Fairly shallow,  althought I think I have heard of a float tuber or two giving it a shot.  Lot's of fishies in there too.  Perfect for fly and bubble,  and the flyrod at the top of the pond where the creek drains in...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:58:09 PM »
The Pond also likes to be a hot spot for skeeters so just be aware that the fish might not be the only thing that is bitting!
The creek is waiting...

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 09:23:03 PM »
It's a beautiful area and an easy hike from Upper Pine Grove(basically a flat walk). There is a trail on the west bank that has board walks over the most of the bog areas.

Paul

Would you believe that despite 20 years of hanging out there, I've never taken the west trail that far? Must remedy!

All work and no play...   :hiking2:

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 11:19:53 PM »
I think I saw a few squirrels run up there, better go look for them.... :puzzled:
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 09:30:56 AM »
Yes, it is a mosquito haven back there, as well as those dreaded chiggers.

Another suggestion might be to take the established trail in, and follow the creek back, as the creek deviates away from the trail at that section. A lot of folks will wander to the pond, but I question how many are familiar with that section of the creek. It is one of the most peaceful, tranquil parts of the entire canyon, imo. But even during this light snow pack, I would expect that area will be pretty wet, as it is all a riparian meadow.

If you make that trip, I'm not sure what would be worse, forgetting your fishing pole or your camera.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

beldingi

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
    • Mateo Lab
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 10:28:33 AM »
I think I saw a few squirrels run up there, better go look for them.... :puzzled:

I've seen and heard them from across the way. And one year radiotracked one of our 'stud' males across the creek from the main meadow to retrieve our collar. But not in the numbers that make it worth it. And too many primates!   :fishing4:   :D