Author Topic: Favorite Ultra Light Rod & Reel Combo  (Read 3367 times)

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Favorite Ultra Light Rod & Reel Combo
« on: December 24, 2015, 10:15:21 AM »
Merry Christmas Everyone!  I'm looking to get a new set-up for creek fishing.  I want something where I can feel the tiniest of nibbles.  Looking for a great reel to pair it with.  Resident experts opinions are most welcome.  Ready, set, go..............

Cheers,
Acquaman

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Ultra Light Rod & Reel Combo
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 07:54:58 AM »
Resident Expert Definition:

Someone who thinks they know everything about everything when really they're just annoying and don't really know that much.

With that said, it would help to know what style of fishing you plan on doing with your new outfit (Bait Fishing, Spinning, jigging, Trolling, Fly Fishing, Etc.).  Then we can talk fishing techniques and what gear to choose to help bring in more fish next season. :fishing3:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 08:08:40 AM »
Good morning,

This new setup would be for small spinners in the creeks.  Maybe some bait fishing but not normally my style.  Thanks again.

Cheers,
Acquaman

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 11:01:38 AM »
The most difficult fish to catch are the ones that bite so softly you can’t detect the strike.  But to turn the smallest nibble into fish on the line, sometimes it has to do more with technique than with your pole.  What I look for in a nice spinning outfit:

•    Rod and Reel Balance
The rod and reel should balance near the point where you grip the handle.  You should be able to balance your pole with one finger at the reel.  Test this out in the store where you’re buying it if possible.  A tip-heavy rod will undermine sensitivity. 
•   Touch
Touching the line kicks up sensitivity another notch.  Don't pinch the line, just touch it lightly.  Extend your forefinger just above the bail of your reel.  Take your finger off the line when reeling.  Since many strikes occur as the bate sinks, you'll be ready with a hair-trigger reaction.
•   Grip
Use the relaxed spinning rod grip.  Don’t muscle up on the rod until you set the hook.  Look around next time you fish with others and see how fishing folks are white knuckling their reel.  You want the rod resting more on your fingers than gripping it in the palm of your hand as your fingertips are much more sensitive.
•   The Correct Angle
Sensitivity is best when rod tip at a 90-degree angle.  Try to keep it at 90 degrees when fishing vertically by holding the rod parallels to the water your fishing.
•   The Line
Stay with 4-pound-test Berkley Trilene XL monofilament.  Fluorocarbon lines are not as limp, memory-free and castable as standard mono lines.  Do use Fluorocarbon for your leader material as it will enhance your fishing with more strikes!  Use a low-stretch Fluorocarbon for high sensitivity, such as Berkley® Vanish (my favorite) for leader material.
•   Most Sensitive
Buy the most sensitive, high-modulus graphite rod you can afford.  Its money well spent when you have to deal with the light-biters.  A 6 1/2 to 7 foot rod works best for light-bite applications.  Get a 1-piece rod for the most sensitivity.  I like St Croix’s and G. Loomis spinning rods for their excellent quality and they also stand behind their rods. 

If I had to pick one spinning combo for your needs, I would pick:

1-Piece 6 1/2- to 7-foot Graphite Rod, Fast Action, UL, 2-6 Line Weight.  Matching Reel with multiple bearings and Mono Capacity of 4 lb. Test Line such as a Tournament ZX which is also great for reducing line twists during casting.  There are many good rods and reels out there and many are fairly inexpensive.   I would put a little more money into a good matching reel myself.

Picking a UL Spinning Combo is subjective but pick-up something that feels just right in your hands and something your most comfortable with.   My 2 cents.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 09:55:03 AM »
Thanks so much for the great information.  I have read great reviews regarding the St. Croix rod.  This is more in my price range as opposed to the G. Loomis.  Now I will begin the hunt for a reel that fits the rod.  Looking forward to a great season in 2016.  Now lets fill the Sierra's with some snow!

Cheers,
Acquaman

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 11:35:07 AM »
My 6.9 St. Croix rod just arrived in the mail.  The Tournament ZX just went on sale at Cabela's for $59.99 so I just ordered two.  Saved $40 bucks and free shipping!  Thanks again wshawkins for the suggestions.  I did some reviews and both are very highly rated.  I'm now dying to get to the creeks and catch some trout.  Might have to do a test run locally before I can make it up in June for our trip.

Cheers,
Acquaman

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 06:46:22 AM »
Really like your new set-up and a good price on the reel to boot!  I don’t think you’ll regret this purchase.  Now you should be able to feel the tiniest of bites which should be adding up to more fish caught this season.  I have two of the reels myself as I gave one to the wife who loves it too because she can cast it a country mile!  I also got the extra spools for my backcountry trips (for just in case).

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 04:52:25 PM »
Happy fishing, Acquaman  :fishing3:  Sounds like Opener can't come too soon!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.