Author Topic: Starting to doubt El Nino  (Read 3291 times)

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Starting to doubt El Nino
« on: January 18, 2016, 07:52:35 AM »
I'm beginning to doubt if were going to get the massive rain that has been predicted...I looked at a weather site for my area and it only indicates a few days of light rain all the way until March 1st.  In 1998 it started raining in January and it seemed it rained every week until April....Granted the Sierras are getting a lot of snow but So. Calif. so far is not getting the amount of rain expected and the February forecast does not look promising...

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: Starting to doubt El Nino
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 08:03:08 AM »
One of the offshore "gurus" said much the same thing on the radio, but he said we are gonna get hammered here in SoCal during March and April.  He was spot on with our last storm timing, so I give him a bit of credibility so far.

John

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 08:10:05 AM »
I like the new snow in this webcam photo..

http://www.thetroutfitter.com/webcams/

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 11:27:47 AM »
I can say we are getting good rains up here.. 12 of the last 14 days have rained...  and more is coming in.....  this last set was fairly warm tho, so not big snow makers...  luckily we are once again measuring our rain totals here in feet, not inches :)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 08:39:55 PM »
You may be right retired, but I choose to remain optimistic the Sierra will capitalize on a great start considering the last few years.

Let it snow!

:shoveling:
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 06:32:56 AM »
I remain optimistic as well  :shoveling:
The Creek is Waiting...

DoubleDingo

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 10:32:52 AM »
Only one month into winter, give it some time.  We need it more in short bursts than huge onslaught anyhow, and thus far we have been getting most of it in short bursts, which gives time for the last one to absorb instead of flooding.  Seeing the radar being blue, white and pink in the Sierras and other mountain ranges during the recent storms makes me smile.  Now with the extra runoff we get from the storms, let's fill up those reservoirs that are almost completely dry, that way we'll have some water in reserves.  And keep saving water from going down the tap.  It's a team effort.  I'm not a tree hugger, but I do enjoy water to sustain life.
Better is a dry morsel with quietness, Than a house full of feasting with strife. Pro. 17:1

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 12:09:17 PM »
10" so far
The Creek is Waiting...

littlefish

• Junior Creeker
  • California Native and Sierra lover for 60 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 08:04:22 PM »
Historically February and March are the major water producers in an El Nino year, but yeah I feel your doubt.  The mountains are still bone dry in Ojai.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 12:30:32 PM »
last nights report said my neck of the woods.. (Tahoe area) has 121% of snowpack...   I didn't catch how we are doing on rain.   but I do know that Tahoe has had a lot of rain this winter.. which is good cause the ground needed it so bad.

and we are finally seeing runoff, and the reservoirs are starting to fill....   

but this is more like a normal winter than a super el nino... hope it is still coming! 

oh, and we have only had one day of snow flurries here... we usually have several rounds of snow in a normal winter... but the storms are warmer this winter.

but today the sun is out!  it is wonderful! :)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 05:58:57 PM »
For the last 10 years we have made an annual trip to the cabin on NYE.  We have seen years where we had to climb over hills to hike in to years where we drive in with no snow and people are ice skating on the lake! This year, I would have to say that the snow was about avergage for snowfall at Rock Creek...which is better than the last two years where we have been able to drive right in to the cabin.  So I am hopefull...
The creek is waiting...

Trev Dog

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 06:52:49 PM »
Ret. 96, thanks for getting the chatter going again!  :clap: it was a long layoff! Glad to hear Tahoe is in better shape this year, and from the news reports here in So. Cal this winter the mountain resorts are booming which their economy needs desperately. Yea the storms predicted for January haven't come through for the lower elevations but soft rain soaking into the ground has. I'm sure stronger rains and more snow will come through the rest of winter and early spring. Haven't been able to get the snow and water reports that used to come up through the weather link this winter? Scout what's going on? can you give us an update on the area?
Maybe Gary C. hit the nail on the Head with "Life is in Session", Yea we all are getting older, there is lots of uncertainty with the economy and the world around us, and in our own little worlds, but myself like all of you are dreaming about the coming summer and trips to the place we all love. For myself like all of our internet family this is a place to come and share. lets keep it moving forward.