Author Topic: the fall bodie heritage tour  (Read 4291 times)

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
the fall bodie heritage tour
« on: January 25, 2016, 07:03:47 PM »
yes, in true LHR planning.. at 9:30 frinday morning I decided I wanted to join the group for the weekend... so a quick contact with terri g, who said 'come on down' and a call to a couple of hotels to get a room in Bridgeport.. who knew it was opening weekend of hunting?  what do you mean you are totally booked?    I was off by noon....

so drove into bodie around 8 am sat  morning....  and quite the brisk morning it was:)

we were to spend the next 6 hours going inside the homes, and the hotels... oh my goodness!  what an experience this was!!

and stoves, stoves, stoves....

and artwork still on the walls:

and as one would expect, some homes are just not in that great of shape:

and in the bodie hotel:

next up was a tour of the standard stamp mill....always a good time.. and then... terri unlocks the door that lead into the furnance room.. where the 300 odd cords of wood were burned everyday to keep the mill going...  the furnace is about as tall as the first floor,,, and one of the wheels is taller than the first floor... HUGE room wth even HUGER stuff in it:

then it was a lunch break.. inside the livingroom of the cain home!!  you know the one with the big glass window out front:)

then it was off to the cemetery.. looking back on town:

we learned that recently the location of a second hospital in bodie was found... and low and behold, they also believe that they have located where Mr Bodie himself is buried.. the diary of the gentleman that buried mr bodie describe the location in relation to the hospital.. well when they first read this, they did not know about the second hospital.  so anow 5 cadvor dogs have all alerted to the same spot ... this coming summer they are hoping to verify that he is there!

day 2 was off to aruroa via the old road... we passed a few toll stations,,, and other mill sites on the way.. beautiful country!!  we were able to stand where mark twains cabin was while he was in aurora,, and we also went up to the cemetery,, and then out to boot hill to check out the outlaws

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:16:43 PM by Little Hardrock »
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Claremont Dude

• Weekender
    • View Profile
Re: the fall bodie heritage tour
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 07:03:39 AM »
What a great opportunity to actually go inside! Pictures are fantastic.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."- Henry David Thoreau

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 12:17:24 PM »
Lucky You to make that trip! I hope to do it one time, along with the spring Bodie Ride. Hope some of the Bodie Spirits did not follow you home.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

saudust

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 05:12:44 AM »
Those are the coolest old stoves!  Get me some wood to heat the pot.  :wood: Thanks for the "inside" tour, LHR.  Good times!
Let me wake laughing from a nap in the afternoon under the aspens in the fall.

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 05:08:03 AM »
Great pictures, thanks for sharing that.

P A C

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 04:26:05 PM »
As the others above have posted - GREAT pics and THANK YOU for posting them.  :clap:  Sounds like the trip became one of those great unexpected, last minute, unplanned weekend getaways that often result in a phenomenal experience!

Interesting to see the apparent Pressure Cooker on the Stove or counter top in the shot of the Bodie Hotel Kitchen.  I wonder when that was utilized there? (now of course I have to research when pressure cookers were invented, etc. - I thought they were a relatively recent early to mid 20th Century kind of creation).

So out of my normal curiosity; Were you able to stay in Bridgeport or Lee Vining or did you have to head north (or much farther south) for the night?

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 06:59:27 PM »
i got a room at the walker lodge in bridgeport...   i do head south on 395 to get to bodie.. so bridgeport is a good spot for me.   really liked staying there... that is now my first choice in bridgeport....  :)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
Love Bodie, need to go back and revisit. Didn't know they did tours like that, very cool.
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 01:43:33 PM »
Bodie is still on my list of places to visit. Your pictures are awesome and make me want to go even more.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:49:38 PM »
Very cool. nice pics. Thanks for sharing :chestbump:

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 07:18:01 PM »
Aurora is a neat place to go check out.  We did a trip from the cabin one year and when we got up there we were the only ones around.  The Cemetary is really interesting and very we'll kept despite being in the middle of no where. 
The creek is waiting...

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 11:08:30 AM »
  The remaining town of Bodie from above.

Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.