Author Topic: owens lake art project  (Read 1733 times)

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

DoubleDingo

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: owens lake art project
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 11:59:00 AM »
 :rotflmao: :lol2: :rotflmao: :lol2: :rotflmao: :lol2:

But, I digress, whereas I find it laughable and a waste of money, someone will find it enjoyable.  Growing up looking at that dry lake daily, and breathing the toxic dust from it when the wind blew from the south, I don't like it.  I'm glad DWP has been held accountable for what they did by constructing the aqueduct, but they are still removing every ounce of water they possibly can from the area and that is evidenced by all the ground water being gone or much deeper, the dead trees and dried up meadows, etc., and that's not just in and around Lone Pine, it extends north and south of LP.  And how many creeks flowing from the Sierras are now dry beds?  There are a couple movie channels here (not Lone Pine) that shows old movies, and once in a while an old western that was filmed in the Owens Valley/Lone Pine area will be aired.  The ones that are in color show how green the area used to be.  Sage brush was much greener, creeks and the river were flowing with water, there were much more live trees everywhere, and snow covered the Sierras.  The black and white movies show the snow and vegetation.  I understand the water drying up is a global thing, but this localized drying-up in the Owens Valley was definitely accelerated by DWP.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:03:03 PM by DoubleDingo »
Better is a dry morsel with quietness, Than a house full of feasting with strife. Pro. 17:1

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 06:45:29 AM »
I say go for it but when I read this :

The Owens Lake that surrounds the plaza glistens with opalescent light as the sun drops below the Sierra Nevada crest, now frosted with an icing of early snow. The Owens Lake with a surface of crystallized salts, pools of still reflecting water, cascading fountains and areas of salt marsh waits silently. There is, for a change, no wind at all.

It makes it sound so beautiful and although it was at one time my first thought reading this was "Is there a lake there"  ??? ??? ???
I mean if someone who had never seen it read this and then visited boy would they be in for a shock.
The Creek is Waiting...

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 08:22:40 AM »
Interesting, there was a article in the LA Times this morning about Land Art projects from the 1960's.  It's a new film.  "Troublemakers:  The Story of Land Art."  In the Calendar section. 2/5/2016.

John