Author Topic: Campground Suggestions  (Read 2437 times)

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
Campground Suggestions
« on: March 01, 2016, 10:49:22 AM »
Good morning Everybody,

We have been camping in Rock Creek and June Loop for years now.  We are thinking about trying out some new spots this year and are looking for suggestions.  Our group is about 8-10 so we typically need 2 spots.  We really prefer to be in smaller campgrounds.  We love places like Rock Creek Lake, Big Meadow, and Gull.  We are thinking about the Mammoth area but based on my research I cannot find much on the small side.  We would love to have a creek, pond, or lake we can fish at camp.  Willing to consider the Bishop area as well just for a change in scenery.  Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Cheers,
Acquaman

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Campground Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 09:57:47 AM »
Bishop Creek is a great area. Great smaller campgrounds and all by the creek. Lake Sabrina or South lake both up canyon. Not as wooded as Rock Creek by any means, but nice right along the creek.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 06:29:35 PM »
Big Meadow and Iris Meadow might be good choices,  lot's of creek to fish.  Prolly best if you arrive in the middle of the daytime,  especially on a Sunday,   as that is when people are pulling out of the camps to go home.  I like East fork a lot,  lot's of non reservable sites,  but it is a large campground and get crowded at times.  Pine Grove,  another small campground,  can be an option too...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 06:50:47 AM »
Bishop creek

There are so many campgrounds on the road up to Sabrina you can really take your pick. I love four Jeffery  :camping: The creek sites are great and the camp hosts are the best. :clap: :clap:
The Creek is Waiting...

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 11:04:22 AM »
Thanks for the great suggestions!  Based on your responses it seems like there are no small campgrounds in the Mammoth area.  Looks like we might being staying in Bishop this year.  We like to fish as many spots as we can squeeze in so Mammoth was on our radar as a central location.  We can hit plenty of holes in Bishop and then make it to RCL for pie of course!

Cheers,
Acquaman

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 09:41:24 AM »
Mammoth is a zoo in summer, campgrounds are packed. Great for day trips, but not for much solitude in the tent.

The hard part about Bishop Creek is that it is a bit of a drive up canyon to the campgrounds so makes for a longer day to go out of area. There are places to get some supplies and ice at Aspendale and Parchers. That is nice so you do not need to run all the way back down to Bishop.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 06:57:37 AM »
Lets not forget Bishop Creek resort...  Great little Bar  :hiking2:
The Creek is Waiting...