Author Topic: RCL Pictures  (Read 4956 times)

Clint

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
    • Picture Perfect Photography
RCL Pictures
« on: March 07, 2016, 12:51:15 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have any current pictures (from 1 week ago to today), of RCL, Tom's Place, or the surrounding vicinity? I fish RCL & the whole area yearly, but I've never been up there in the white. I would love to see the area blanketed with snow, if it's still available. Thinking of just coming up one morning & leaving the next day, just enough time to hike & take picture.

It's in the 80s down here in LA, so not sure how it is up there. If no pictures are available, can anyone describe the current conditions. How many inches are there, and if you think it still will be there by next week.

Thanks all.
Clint

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: RCL Pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 02:47:26 PM »
It is dumping snow there now. This time of year you can only drive as far as the gate just past Palisades Campground, at the parking area for Snow Park and the Lodge. They only plow up to that point. You would need to walk in to RCL from there. With the amount of snow that is hopefully falling right now, you probably could not do it without snowshoes or cross country skis.

Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 02:51:49 PM »
Where is it dumping? Since Saturday night, I've only gotten 4", maybe...it is snowing harder up higher, and has been for a couple days.
I'll see what I can do about a picture...I may have to enlist Packer's help.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 07:17:52 PM »
its dumping up here!   some of the flood gates are open on folsom dam for the first time in 5 years!!!

and they had to close hwy 80 last night.... and not because of too many accidents, or spin outs or ice....  but beacuse of just plan ole too mch snow coming down and the plows could not keep up with it!   whoot whoot!

we get a day off from rain tomorrow...  then comes in another week straight of rain and snow:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 08:36:09 AM »
You are probably right Jeff, my buddy is up at his cabin (in your neighborhood). I talked with him and he told me is was dumping heavy snow. He is up to ski, so he probably was referring to the mountain. I just assumed since he called from the cabin that it was more widespread. Hoping the storm did track into RCL area at least.

Clint

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 01:37:53 PM »
Thank you all for the information.
If anyone has any pictures of RCL or Tom's, that would be appreciated. Trying to gauge when to come up before the snow melts. I definitely want to photograph the lake frozen over, so I'm not sure how I'll get up there. That's a good 6 miles or so from Palisades Campground???

Any advice?

Thanks again!

Clint

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 03:05:56 PM »
There really isn't any snow around Tom's Place, everything has melted from the last storms. You'd have to walk or ski the three miles from the gate at East Fork to the Lake, and they use to frown on walking up the cross country ski tracks.
I'll be going up to East Fork in a couple days, no higher, I'll take my camera and see if I can get some good pics.
You can drive to Convict Lake, maybe the easiest place to see a frozen lake...if it's still frozen.
I have some older pics of Rock Creek Lake with ice on it....

Clint

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 10:23:25 AM »
Thanks Scout.
So now I'm more confused. I'm getting mixed messages on snow. Some are saying it's dumping, some are saying there isn't that much snow.
So my question is, if I go up in the next week or two, will RCL still be frozen over? If so, will I be able to hike to the lake?

I just don't want to make the 5 hour drive for no reason.

Thanks again,
Clint

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 02:49:15 PM »
It has been dumping, but only at higher elevations, above 8000 ft. The biggest snowfall I've had in Crowley has only been a foot, at the most, and that was last month...it's dirt now. At the same time, higher elevations have gotten feet of snow. The last time I went up the Canyon (last week), I really didn't run into snow until I was at the top of the "narrows", or just below Aspen Camp. There were a couple of feet at East Fork (9000 ft.). Last I heard, there were five to six feet at the Lake, but that's been a while, probably more with the last storms.
If you were to walk into the Lake, it would be frozen over, but you would probably just see a big field of white, due to the snow on top of the ice, not just a sheet of ice.
I'm planning on going up tomorrow, weather permitting, I'll let you know what's there.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 08:01:13 PM »
Clint, we have been up to the snow park a few times this year.  You can hike or snowshoe up to the lake, just yield to the cross country skiers and you will be fine.  When we were up last weekend before the storm, there was a few feet at East Fork so I would expect more since the latest storms.  East Fork is at 8700' feet, so there should be some fresh snow.  I have pics, but only on my computer so don't think I can post them.
The creek is waiting...

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 02:37:52 PM »
I just got back from East Fork. Sad to say, it doesn't look like there's much more snow than there was last week. I also couldn't find much that was "picture worthy", so no current pics. I have some older pictures that I took of the Lake when it was frozen, I forwarded one to Packer, it should show up here soon. I hope it will satisfy your curiosity.

Clint

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 08:59:02 AM »
Thanks Scout & RockCreekGirl for the info.

I think as long as RCL is frozen over with all surrounding areas of the lake in white, I will capture the images that I want. It sounds like it is that way now, and will be for at least a couple of weeks. I hope I'm not wrong.

So how far of a hike do I have to get to the lake? Where do I park my car, on the side of the road?

Thanks,
Clint

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »
Take the 7 mile drive up Road Creek Rd from Tomís Place to Rock Creek Sno-Park, which is the end of the road during winter.  Itís a three mile hike to the lake from the Sno-Park.  You will need a Snow-Park Pass (Day Use) which you can get on-line before you drive up there ($5.00).

Here is a map of Rock Creek Sno-Park:

"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 11:57:52 AM »

Here is a picture from Scout showing the lake frozen over. This was from a few years back when it was quite cold, but there was no snow. My friends were up at that time and ice skated all around the lake.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 01:35:23 PM »
Thanks for posting that Packer. Now a description.
I think the above picture was taken 5 years ago, give or take a year, when it got really cold, but didn't snow. The road to the Lake was still open, I was able to drive up there until November, at least. The Lake was beautiful, the ice was clear, something you don't see all the time.
Jim King told me about skating on the ice that year, watching the fish swim around under his feet....amazing.
I have some other pictures, taken on the same day, that are pretty cool. If you guys would like to see them, and Packer is willing to help me out again, I'll post some.

papow

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 05:07:51 PM »
Thanks Scout for all of your info. I would love to see some of your other pictures of the frozen lake.

RockNCreekGirl

• Eastern Sierra Legend
  • Creek Girl for Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 08:37:52 PM »
I remember that year. We were up on NYE and we were sliding over the lake on chairs (forgot our skates) and people were having camp fires ON the frozen lake.  Crazy...
The creek is waiting...

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 10:44:03 AM »
Here is another from Scout.

"Yes, it's ice....just to the left of the boat docks."

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 10:29:45 PM »
Here is a report with pictures from a guy that snow shoed into South Lake over the weekend.

http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14076

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 09:33:57 PM »
Good info Thanks Gary :clap: :clap: :clap: