Author Topic: Hilton Lakes trail in late May  (Read 2313 times)

duartizzle

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Hilton Lakes trail in late May
« on: March 12, 2016, 07:27:05 PM »
I am looking to head to the Hilton Lakes (specifically lake #2). Do you think I should anticipate snow on the trail at that time of year?

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Hilton Lakes trail in late May
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 09:50:55 PM »
Yes, you will most likely have snow on the trail going up the mountain and most definitely on the north side.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 10:36:41 AM »
All depends on the years snowfall and what the weather turns to in May (warmth). Should be passable by then, with the most before you drop down the ridge into lake #2. You can always go up the front face above Crowley to avoid the snow. Should be no problem to Davis and up to #2.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 10:08:37 PM »
Packer, I've never hiked up the canyon from Crowley. How does it compare to hiking over the hill from Rock creek. Mostly just further?

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 08:13:39 AM »
Actually I think it is shorter. But it is hot and exposed, and 99 % constant uphill. We used to hike up almost to Davis from our cabin at Hilton Creek when I was a kid and fish the creek all the way home. Some great times and fish back then.

duartizzle

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 01:42:37 PM »
Thanks for this info. Based on your experience is it something that could require snowshoes or something that is more of patches of snow here and there?

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 04:21:59 PM »
I do not think snowshoes at that time unless there is a lot of late snow. The issue would be in trail location. But again, by that time there will probably be foot traffic through the area to show where the trail is.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 05:54:09 PM »
There was a foot of snow at the Hilton lakes Trailhead when I hiked by it in January.  Not sure how much is there now.  Remember you can only drive to the Snow-Park.  About 3.5 miles to Hilton Lakes Trailhead and another 4.5 miles to #2 Hilton Lake.  8 miles (16 miles roundtrip) for this trip.  Thatís a lot of miles for a day trip!  Also expect the snow will be hard and icy in the morning but soft in the afternoon (except in the shade).  If you wait until May there should be no snow problems other than a muddy trail. :hiking2:
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."