7 (33.3%)
Just hanging in camp
3 (14.3%)
Pie
1 (4.8%)
Something else ?
3 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: What do you love about Rock Creek  (Read 4713 times)

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
What do you love about Rock Creek
« on: March 13, 2016, 10:56:40 AM »
Make your vote, or chime in on what is your favorite reason for being there.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
Re: What do you love about Rock Creek
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 10:04:17 PM »
While I love the fishing it's the hiking that keeps me coming back. There just isn't many other places that you can experience that level of alpine beauty with such relative ease.

fishpole

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:36:52 PM »
You  tell em Gary  :lol2:

RockToad

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 07:52:55 AM »
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 09:22:16 AM by Creek Dude »

Acquaman

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 08:35:06 AM »
Nothing better than turning off your cellphone, TV, and computer and detaching from the rat race of life for a few days.  Rock Creek is therapeutic for me and I'm sure many others.  I could sit in my float tube fishing and staring at the backdrop of the mountains all day with a smile on my face.  Listening to the creek at night back at camp while cooking up a steak is like heaven on earth.  You have not lived until you experience the Eastern Sierra's.  Just my two cents....

Cheers

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 05:32:36 PM »
I love not having to hear the noises of So. Calif..... no sirens from emergency vehicles, no traffic noises...My neighbors dog not barking all the darn time..Its my special time to be all by myself. To cherish the area I have enjoyed since I was a 10 year old boy. I love the Upper Owens River. the peace and tranquility, The beautiful Sierras to the west and the White mountains to the east.....

Corey Baer

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 06:34:09 AM »
Forced relaxation  :clap:

It's always funny to me how uncomfortable I am on day one of any trip. Don't get me wrong I am beyond happy to be there but on day one I always feel like I should be doing something. I have to force myself to just sit and listen and relax. The goods news is by day 2 I am in the moment  :camping: :hiking2: :pie: :fishing3: :tree: :doglick:

I can't wait for my first day 1  :clap: :clap: :clap:
The Creek is Waiting...

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 10:50:01 AM »
Gary C nailed it for me. As much as I am an absolutely addicted, die hard trout bum, it's hard to concentrate on the rises with the darn backdrop in LLV, or RCL for that matter. I use to live in Bishop, had to move east, but have been back many times. We've done many Sierra  backpack trips, but always save a little time for Rock Creek.  We haven't been out since 10/13 as we've been backpacking into the Grand Canyon every year. One more planned Big Ditch  trip, then I think we'll be back. I'm grateful for the forum, as my heart very much resides in RC, even when I don't get back for awhile.  Thanks!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:51:44 AM by charlie »

JEEP

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 11:34:47 AM »
TOM'S PLACE BAR  !!!!!  :bowdown:

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 03:14:26 PM »
Actually, a pretty tough question packer.

First thing to come to mind is that my cell phone doesn’t work at the creek.

In a word, hiking. I love to fish, but seeing incredible scenery for the first time is the best for me.

So many things: early morning coffee, golden morning sun rays, the breeze cutting through the pines, the smell of bacon cooking even though it may be not coming from my campsite, prior to sunrise wading at rcl, wild flowers, campfire sitting, flipping flies in the creek, swap’in lies at the end of the day, fish fry, afternoon thunder storms, unexpected snow, pie, Bloody Mary’s at Tom’s, middle of the night bear visits, BBQ, and…

So many things, wish I was there now. Beer me, and make it a Shiner Bock please.
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 07:07:11 AM »
its all of you.... getting to visit all of you in person....

ok, I am spoiled by living so close to Tahoe and desolation wilderness.. I have scenery and hiking galore here.....

so my trips to rock creek are for seeing all of you....  (and ok, a piece of pie:)

and to be in a place that my brother loved so much... did he ever see that rock?  did he stand here?   alls I know for sure is that we get to share the same love.
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Fran

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 03:33:14 PM »
Hello Hardrock.  I spend a lot of time at Tahoe because I am lucky to have a sister who lives in Meyers.  So I have done a bit of hiking there, mostly Carson Pass area.  just wondering if you can recommend a hike that is comparable to Rock Creek in scenery and relative ease for an old person.  So far R.C. is my favorite of any in the Sierras.  There is just something magical about the place!

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 04:39:54 PM »
hi fran!

the easiest acess to desolation is right above meyers at echo summit....  head to the echo lakes trailhead, and hike north....  during the summer you can take a water taxi across echo lakes to get an additional 2 mile head start towards the wilderness.   here you are starting near the top of the ridge, instead of lake level at the trailheads along lake tahoe.. much easier:)
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

bstolton

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 12:30:31 PM »
I love that my grandson caught his first fish there.
I love being there first thing in the morning and watching the sunrise and cast its rays across the lake, while I'm casting a line out on the water.
I love meeting and talking with all the great people at the group gathering every July.
I love fishing in the snow in early November , before season end.
I love that I caught my 2 biggest trout at RCL.
I just love RCL period !!!
gone fishn, hope to be catchn soon !

DoubleDingo

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 09:37:49 AM »
I like the entire list, but I don't go up there to run myself ragged walking/hiking in the back country.  My goal is to go up and recharge the body, mind and soul by escaping the cell signal, smog and crime of the city, and to get some awesome sleep in the cold air inside a warm sleeping bag.
Better is a dry morsel with quietness, Than a house full of feasting with strife. Pro. 17:1