Author Topic: Weather in late June  (Read 2022 times)

Cpedersen

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Weather in late June
« on: March 23, 2016, 12:32:42 PM »
Hello, Rock Creek! We're backpacking into Gem Lakes the last weekend of June. What are the typical highs/lows we should expect? Any good tips on camp sites? Wife's first backpack trip so any helpful info is appreciated. Thanks!

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Weather in late June
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 10:28:23 PM »
Predicting the weather is fugal, as it can (and does) change in a heartbeat.  But average high/lows are typically mid 40ís for the lows and low 70ís for the high for that time of year.  Expect afternoon showers.

There are many nice camp sites following the trail into Gem Lakes, but you get a lot of day hikers running through your camp site as this is a very popular hike during the summer season.  If youíre looking for peace and quiet with decent privacy, I would recommend using the camp sites to the right side of Upper Gem Lake as there are no trails and few people use this area.  You have some great views from these camp sites too!
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 11:42:29 PM »
Yep,  predicting the weather in the Sierras lol.  For example,  a couple of years ago we fished up around Marsh Lake in late June and weather was perfect,  prolly 65 degrees in the daytime.  A few years before,  we were up by Chickenfoot with the same situation...65 and perfect...late June...then two hours later the thunder started to rumble,  and it started to rain...then snow...we beat it outta there fast.  So,  weather could be perfect,  or it might not be.  That's just typical of Sierra weather...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 07:57:30 AM »
Welcome to the board Cped!

Both 'hawk's and Topwater's assessment is accurate.

Typically, the bigger concern in June is mosquito's, not weather so much. But there really isn't anything that's typical about the Sierra weather.

Last year a group of us were up in July. Out of about 4-5 days, it rained 3-4 of those days. One day we were even hammered by hail and slight snow flurries. As mentioned, afternoon rain/thunderstorms are frequent. Usually they last 1-3 hours, then break and make for stunning afternoons/evenings.

I can remember back in about '05, I was on a solo day hike to Gem. I made as far as Long outlet before needing to hunker down in a little cave for about an hour due to crazy thunder that seemed more like an artillery attack.

Bottom line is that I never head to the Sierra w/o taking rain gear. It's just impossible to predict the weather, so you need to be prepared for it all.

I hope you have a great trip and gives us a report here when you return.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:02:57 AM by playingmenace »
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 08:42:17 AM »
Sierra Backpack June = Very good Raingear = Very good Waterproof Tent = Fiberfill (not down) sleeping Bags = FUN!
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.