Author Topic: Sierra water levels  (Read 3316 times)

Obi96

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Sierra water levels
« on: March 25, 2016, 05:37:35 PM »
I've just read an article about water levels at the Shasta reservoir being so high they had to release water today. This made me wonder how the Eastern Sierras reservoirs like Gem, Edison, Sabrina and the others were doing. Anybody been up to one to see if this years El Nino' made a dent in the low levels?

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Sierra water levels
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 07:16:54 AM »
Despite El Niño and recent rains and snow in California, drought conditions continue for the fifth year in the Eastern Sierra.  Outlook for the rest of March looks generally dry.

Give you an ideal how some of the water levels should look in spring, Glen Pass is at 72% of normal, Sabrina at 65%, Rock Creek at 77%, Mammoth Pass is an exception at near 100% of normal.  The worst is   Bishop at only 28% of normal.  LA is running about 50% of normal.  Better than last year but last year was the driest in recorded history!  April and May might bring more precipitation, but it’s clear that the multi-year water drought in the Eastern Sierra will continue on.  You can check current data anytime from the LADWP website.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Obi96

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 07:42:00 PM »
Dang, Thought we might have been over the hump this year. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 07:11:37 AM »
Anyone know how the Southern Sierra is doing?  SF Kern, Horseshoe Meadow, Fish Creek?  I know it was worse than grim last year.

Is see SF Kern is only 99cfs at Onyx.

John
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 07:17:23 AM by John Harper »

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 07:16:48 AM »
More south you go the worst it was.  Some examples:  Big Pine Creek @ 52% of normal, Cottonwood Lakes @ 66%, Long Valley @ 42%, Big Pine @ 51%, So. Haiwee @ 37% of normal. 

Even a strong El Niño could not bring in the water content we so badly needed this season.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 11:22:27 AM »
That weather clown from Cal Tech that said this would be the Godzilla of El Nino's needs to find another job...For months he spouted how much rain we would get in So. Calif. and it has turned out to be a absolute failure of winter storms....  The Sierras may have received decent snow but nothing compared to the 2010-11 season....  The Upper Owens River that season overflowed its banks for a few months after the snow melt and we all know what Rock Creek looked like...

I don't predict a whole lot of water running towards the end of the season up there..  It will below normal I think.....

Topwater Terry

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 02:24:26 PM »
We still had that ridge of high pressure much of the winter which moved most of the precip. north.  Just a sign of the times...
Once I arrive at Tom's Place...well,  you know...nothing else matters...

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 02:25:23 PM »

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:07:42 PM by playingmenace »
Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors