Author Topic: LO and the Gorge 4/3 - 4/6  (Read 2273 times)

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
LO and the Gorge 4/3 - 4/6
« on: April 08, 2016, 11:56:12 AM »
Got into the Gorge at two places on Monday 4/4.  What a spectacular place, unbelievable rock formations.  I thought I was on an alien planet.  First look down was amazing!

Walked the upper plant road to the end and fished back.  Got my first fish of 2016 on my very first drift with a nymph!! Ended up working back down the road to where it was a little too steep to come back up to the road, without struggling further down to a very steep rock climbers trail just a few hundred yards down from the gate.  Finished with 4 browns and 1 ldr in that section.  But, the fun wasn't over.

We then drove down to the "Horseshoe", and fished there for a while.  Got three down there, including one feisty brown on a parachute black ant dry fly!  Was going to go through the "tunnel" but I did not have a light, and did not want to bang my head on a rock, nor step on a rattler in the dark.  Next time for sure.

Tuesday I explored the upper part of the Gorge below the dam to the first powerhouse, but only saw a trickle of water, not enough to even hear it flowing.  I did not really see any trails down, as the terrain was angular boulders choked with sagebrush.  I also found a trail further down by the penstock leading to the middle powerplant in addition to the middle plant road you can walk down (much longer than the upper road it seems).  Drove to the penstock above the upper plant too.  There was a plaque commemorating four buddies who worked on constructing it in 1951!!!!

Well worth a visit, but be ready for some steep hiking or long walks.   Will post up some photos if I can figure out how to get off my phone.  My camera died before I even got one shot off on Monday.  I had to drive back on Tuesday to shoot pictures of where we were.  Tossed the camera in the recycling bin.  Here's a few more:

Fished the LO for naught, as they raised the flows to 350cfs on Tuesday morning.  I fished a couple times for nada, packed up and came home Wednesday.

John
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:02:08 AM by John Harper »

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
Re: LO and the Gorge 4/3 - 4/6
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 07:05:31 PM »
success!

but ok.. after reading your description, i wanna see photos!  i have yet to visit that area...

Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 10:09:52 PM »
I have never fished the gorge either, maybe someday. It sounds like a lot of work but I'm sure so much better than the days I spent on the job site.

wshawkins

• East Side Hero
  • Got to love the Eastern Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 08:04:08 AM »
Always enjoyed hiking down and fishing the Gorge.  The “Horseshoe” is one of my favorites.  You can also hike to the popular rock climber’s area.  Spectacular rock formations there!  Several old abandoned power plants and old buildings from the 20’s to 30’ to investigate too in the Gorge.

For downloading pictures on your phone, use the supplied software such as "PlayMemories Home” (on most Windows) on your computer.  Connect your smart phone to your PC, using the supplied or built-in USB cable. Or you can insert an external medium like a SD card into your PC and download your pictures.
"It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

John Harper

• Weekender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 08:30:22 AM »
I'll try that Warren, thanks.  My computer does not even seem to recognize the phone, not charging through USB, etc.

Almost forgot, when I was up by the Long Valley Dam, a pair of bald eagles flew past me at eye level about 30 feet away headed up the gorge.  Magnificent!!!

John
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 08:50:12 AM by John Harper »

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 02:06:32 PM »
OMG!   what great photos!  i wanna go!
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....