Author Topic: Report from Lake #2 and abandon tent  (Read 3576 times)

duartizzle

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
Report from Lake #2 and abandon tent
« on: April 20, 2016, 12:25:06 PM »
Hey All, just thought I would share with you some of conditions I noticed. I went out this past weekend to on the Hilton Lake trailhead to lake #2 and a small trek to Davis as well. There was still a good amount of snow on most of the trail. Rock Creek, #2, and Davis are all still frozen. I came across a very eerie abandon tent along with some food, edible plant book, and gear on the shore of lake #2. I reported it to the rangers already, anyone have any thoughts on this?

[URL=http://s884.photobucket.com/user/duartizzle1/media/IMG_0604_zpso6qzwdrd.jpeg.html]

bj

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Report from Lake #2 and abandon tent
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 01:05:14 PM »
No thoughts on the tent but cool photos.
" Rock on..........Rock the Creek"
Hardrock

playingmenace

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 04:41:30 PM »
Great pics.

Must have been a fairly tough trek in the snow.

Life without music, laughter, and an Eastern Slope BBQ would be a mistake.

Remember Wounded Warriors

Gary C.

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 08:00:10 PM »
I agree with the others about the great pictures. Thanks for sharing with us.

As for the tent. I don't see any prints in the snow like someone had been staying there recently. I would think that if someone had been missing for very long it would have been reported but you never know. My guess would be that whoever it was got caught by a storm or just wasn't ready for cold winter temperatures and bailed leaving their gear behind. You did the right thing by reporting it to the authorities. Let us know if you hear anything more about it.

Little Hardrock

• Administrator
  • East Side Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 12:11:53 PM »
what beautiful photos!  love seeing the snow!

ok, the tent is creepy...   curious as to what comes of that...
Hardrock, may his spirit live on in all of us.....

retired96

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 01:31:46 PM »
As a cop my thoughts are there is a dead body somewhere in the wilderness.

TEX

• Rock Creek Local
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 05:55:17 AM »
As a cop my thoughts are there is a dead body somewhere in the wilderness.

I agree. The food are MRE's (not typical bp food) and the tent camo coupled with edible plant book... Some sort of survivalist? Just saying.

BTW, can hardy wait for FISHMAS even though I'm far away. Wish I could watch it on TV!
The E.S. is where I come to get back to sanity and to the real me.

Scout

• Eastern Sierra Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 09:17:25 AM »
Maybe a less eerie theory....the possibility that it's a local's "base camp", set up and left for occasional trips to the backcountry? Maybe he (she, or they) will be back to retrieve it? I have a hunch that a missing camper would have been mentioned in local papers.
I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

duartizzle

• New Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 12:36:01 PM »
Here are the details on what I observed at the tent. There are a lot more MRE's buried under the snow patch, weather buried them, not a human. Inside the tent was an emergency space blanket that clearly had been used, as well as a small cotton blanket. Outside the tent was the edible plant book, toothbrush, pair of socks, flashlight, MRE's, batteries, a tarp covered in snow, and small binoculars. There was also evidence of a campfire. Inside the fire ring was a pair of boxers, trash, and another used emergency space blanket.

charlie

• Junior Creeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 05:54:20 AM »
I've seen something like this several times before, and the results were the overly ambitious and inexperienced leaving behind their trash. Emergency blankets DO NOT work as sleeping bag substitutes. You can find some YouTube videos where hardcore backyard survivalists use them, but once again they are submitting to the  harsh environment  of their backyards. I agree with this being the result of a survivalist-in-training and not a backpacker. The person probably got G-I problems (MRE's ain't exactly real food)  hence the boxers in the fire, or ate something they misidentified, froze their butt off and hightailed out of there sometime in the fall.  Great pics!  I've done a number of winter trips out of RCL, it's a  wonderland.  Thanks for the report.

Packer

• Rock Creek Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 02:57:12 PM »
Hope we do hear the real situation/outcome. My thoughts are that someone was camping and a storm came in. The set up I see is they put up a rail over the tent. This is a technique you can use if you have a light tent (not a four season for snow). They probably then put the tarp over the rail to shield the tent, and other items placed outside the tent (MRE's and other items).  Could have done this if the storm came up late in the day or evening. Then possibly high tailed out at first light after a very cold night, leaving the stuff behind so as to be light and make the best time.

Or, yes my other thought is along with retired, there is a body somewhere.
Pack it in, Pack it out...or have a Wrangler do it for you.